Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Thursday, October 16, 2008

J.D. From Hip Hop Update Chops It Up With BFochs!




BFochs: How's it going man? Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to chop it up with me. What's happenin' man? What's poppin' in P.A.?

J.D.:What up Fochs??!! Everything is going great. Right now I'm just trying to find a balance between maintaining Hip Hop Update, starting my new job in NYC and keeping up that social life.

BFochs: That's what's up, balance is key. For those who are not hip to Hip Hop Update, why don't you give the kind BBB viewers a nice little introduction.

J.D.: Hip Hop Update is a site like many other thousands of useless blogs, but in my case, people seem to listen and care what I have to say. I can attribute that to always having the most up to date audio, news, videos and more on my site. Over the past year or so, I've made it my goal to provide the public with all the media from the big-name players in the industry, while not forgetting about the up and comers.

BFochs: Supporting the future of the game is very key, I respect you a lot for making your site a place not only for mainstream, but underground and independent music as well. When did you decide to get in this ever crazy blog game, and how did you come up with the name "Hip Hop Update?"

J.D.: When I stopped playing my sport in college, I found that I had a lot of time on my hands that usually went to working out, practice, etc. I filled that void by starting a blog to write about music and artists that I felt had a lot of potential (and not many sites had featured them by that point in time). Unfortunately, writing about music and the industry is wayyyy to broad so I narrowed it down to hip hop. There's no deep meaning behind the name - it's a straight forward way of saying when you come to my site, you're getting the Update on the latest in Hip Hop music.

BFochs: A blog is a great way to eat up time in a positive manner, I dig the site name, nice and simple and it gets the point across. You are a native of Philadelphia, PA so it is mandatory that I ask this question. Who do you think is the King Of Philly and why?

J.D.: If we're going based off pure talent, charisma, representation, etc - NO ONE can deny that Black Thought has always been the most regarded King of Philly. Cassidy and Gillie and all them may have the streets, but when it comes to content, you simply cannot compare them to Black Thought of The Roots.

BFochs: Black Thought is a beast, he definitely has what it takes to be crowned "King Of Philly.'"The title of your spot has inspired me to ask the following question, what do you think the top 5 'updates' in hip hop have been?

JD: 1) The transition to good music again. We've got a TON of promising up and comers on our horizon anyone from Jay Electronica to Wale to Charles Hamilton.

2) Better live shows. Artists seem to have finally figured out that since a majority of money isn't being made on album sales any longer, they've got to step up their live show game. Maybe it's just me, but it just seems like the last few shows I've been to have been up a notch in terms of energy and material performed.

3) Artist to fan outreach. I think it's pretty cool that artists are making themselves more available to fans via the net and different features.

4) Hip Hop's mixed audience. Some hardcore heads may think this sucks for whatever reason but nowadays if you head to any hip hop show, it seems like the diversity in the audience has increased. At any given show nowadays, you'll see a skater kid standing next to an Asher Roth looking chap who's talking hip hop with some Hell Rell street cat. The fact that Hip Hop has brought so many different people together for one common cause is definitely a great update in hip hop.

5) Collaborations. Hip Hop has updated its game to branding, some of which sucks. But when clothing companies, famous DJ's and a dope MC get together and create a piece of work, the result has a lot of potential. We are seeing this now more than ever.

BFochs: Well thought out answer, 5 very key upgrades to the genre. I noticed that you did some work with MTV. How did the experience working at MTV help you on your quest to gaining a career in the industry?

J.D: I mentioned before that I stopped playing a sport in college...MTV was the reason. My sport was a full time job that included summer, but I just needed to follow my gut and go with industry work at MTV. I actually worked at MTV News and the experience was awesome. Going to video shoots, sitting in on interviews, etc etc. The experience was priceless and the contacts I made were clutch. Say what you want about MTV [News] and their hip hop coverage, but chances are, 99% of the people who say negative things about them have not been behind the scenes at MTV. Shaheem Reid, Sway, Rahman Dukes (all writers/producers at MTV) etc. are the best in the business and they know real hip hop. Of course they have to water it down for a mainstream MTV audience because when it comes down to it, Viacom is a business and they put out material that sells and generates profits. People just need to use their heads and realize this.

BFochs: Indeed, folks sometimes forget that hip hop is an art, but it has many business aspects as well, you have to please people on a consumer level too. The United States is going through the toughest economic times it's had in many years. What are your thoughts on this matter? What is some good advice you could give the people who are being affected the most in this time of economic woe.

J.D.: Ehh...it's not my place to speak on this. I can't speak for other people. All I know is I'm good personally because I worked extremely hard for my college degree, always participated in internships and grinded. The economy sucks - we know that. It's up to you to do something about it whether it be grinding on the blog game like you Fochs or working an unpaid internship at a record company and another job just to live. Times will hopefully change once the new president is elected.

BFochs: Understandable, you can only comment on what you know sometimes. Due to you having a chatbox on your page I'm sure you deal with a lot of e-thuggery and e-hooligans, what is your policy on internet gangstas? Why do you think these people try acting so damn tough on the internet of all places?

J.D.: Corny is the right word. I honestly don't know what goes through an e-thug's mind. Self esteem issues maybe. Seek help.

BFochs: Take the advice e-thugs get a life and get help! lol. Lots of people have been getting into the blog game, but it seems like some don't have the proper guidance or knowledge on how to maintain a successful blog. Let's say you were writing the book on blogging, what are a few pointers you would give the newbies? What would you say is the most important thing to keep in mind when blogging?

J.D.: I'd say there are three guidelines/suggestions any newbie or potential blogger should consider.

1) Average = failure. There are a million blogs all essentially posting the same material. You look from site to site daily and you'll see the same songs and videos - which is fine - but most blogs stop right there and don't feel the need to rise above.

2) Focus on your objective. Some blogs specialize in just posting mp3's - some just in their city's hip hop scene. Think about what you're trying to accomplish with your blog and stick to it. There's a niche for everything - you never know when yours will catch on. I always use the site "Things White People Like" as an example - who the hell sits there thinking 'If I make a funny site to poke fun at things white people like, I could be famous and rich?' The site just caught on through viral marketing and now the guy has a best-selling book based off the website. The net is fickle and you just never know.

3) Build connections. I may not have the top blog on the net hits-wise and recognition-wise, but I now get invited to record release parties, industry events and even award shows because I built up connections with people who contacted me at some point. You never know when the person who is emailing you material or feedback is a major artist or high-profile employee at Def Jam.

BFochs: [Notorious B.I.G.]Relax and take notes![/Notorious B.I.G.] Let's say Hip Hop Update had it's own store, what items would I see in that store? Is there any chance we will ever see an actual Hip Hop Update store?

J.D.: Oh man, that's thinking big right there. I guess you'd see a reflection of my personal taste. Fashion-wise, you'd see the craziest sneakers available. Nike & Jordan Brand only. I'd have street brands like Crooks & Castles, SubCon, 10 Deep & Orisue, but on the flip side, Ralph Lauren would have people stitching up custom polo's in the back room. Music-wise I'd have ONLY quality music obviously. Oh, and episodes of The Office, Flight of the Conchords, Entourage and The Fresh Prince would be playing 24/7 on all the flatscreeens throughout the store. As far as it actually happening - I gotta step my money game up first haha.

BFochs: Fresh Prince=GOAT, ya, I went there, I would definitely hit up the Hip Hop Update store, holla when it opens! If you could make a Hip Hop Update Radio station who would the djs be, who would be the top 5 artists in rotation, and what would be the title of your station's concert series?

J.D.: Ahh man another good question. Jeez, I'd probably put a pretty solid crew. We'd start with Star (of Star & BucWild) in the mornings, The Rosenthal Brothers of ItstheReal.com in the afternoon, Cipha Sounds & DJ Whoo Kid at night and Jamie Foxx & 50 Cent on the weekends. 50 is pure comedy every time he gets ahold of the radio mic. Top 5 artists played would probably be The Roots, Wale, Kanye West, Ras Kass and hmmmm.... let's throw G.Dep in the mix. Mad random. The concert series would be called The Zero Gimmick tour - based on the fact that all the artists included would be quality artists with pure talent. I tried to think of something witty/funny, but I my mind is blank.

BFochs: I dig the concert series title, it gets straight to the point, people will get the hint when they see the line-up. Where do you see the online promo game in 5 years? Do you think EVERY artist, label, dj, producer will be using blogs as an avenue for promotion? Do you think the majors will have it figured out by then that CDs are extinct and that it's all about the digital download? How long do you think it will be before compact discs are considered an 'antique' ?

J.D.: You're right on target. It's just inevitable as much as [some] consumers, labels and artists want to fight it. Some majors have figured it out, but some are still in a transition process. I was up at Sony for an interview and the guy point blank told me, they weren't sure where to start with certain digital products. Here are some examples of companies/people who have embraced it: Apple with iTunes, Soulja Boy, MTV with Rhapsody, T-Pain with his all-digital label...among others. So record companies will NEED to evolve or else they will be in the same category of the dinosaurs. I can't give a firm number when stores won't even sell cd's - maybe 7-10 years?

BFochs: Any shout outs, last words or comments before we rap this thing up?

J.D.: First of all, shout to the kid Fochs for doing his thing up there in Wisconsin. Big ups to you for creating a positive situation for yourself and forcing yourself in to this unforgiving industry. Second of all, big shout out to myself for keeping it consistent and being true to myself. Third - a big thanks to all my supporters that have been with me over the past year and continue to ride with HHU. Special thanks to Tha Advakit and C.A.S.H. for holding me down.

BFochs: Thank you once again for doing this interview J.D. I wish the best for you and yours in anything you do in the future.

5 comments:

  1. Dope!

    good job Brandon!

    as for HHU, I'll check it.. at least weekly from now on...

    hunnid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya man HHU is tha bizness i been fuckin wit that site for over a half a year, thx 4 the opportunity J.D.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn these interviews just keep getting better. Bfochs got the interview game on smash!

    ReplyDelete