Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Monday, October 20, 2008

Madtown, WI Hot Spitter D.L.O. Chops It Up With BFochs!!!



BFochs: What's goin' down D.L.O.? I really appreciate you taking the time to do this interview man, I know you got a lot jumpin' off with the release of your new project "Customer Service." What's good? What's goin' down in Madtown? How you feelin' right now, does this whole album release fiasco got you geeked or what?

D.L.O.: I'm feeling real good right now and excited about the release. My LP has been about two years in the making. I feel like my “Customer Service” will be the balancing factor for Hip Hop in Madison. I want to show people that it's ok to be yourself and still be hot.

BFochs: That's what it is. Why don't you give the kind BBB readers a formal introduction. Tell them who you are, where your from, what movement your reppin' and who your top 5 favorite producers are.

D.L.O.: Well….I'm from Madison Wisconsin, college educated, love lemonade and pretty laid back. As for movements, I'm pushing towards connecting Hip Hop & the needs social issues like poverty, education and housing issues. I plan to do a tour in Wisconsin where every show will be dedicated towards a cause.

Here's my list…there are so many to choose from

1. J Dilla

2. Curtis Mayfield

3. Dr. Dre

4. Madlib

5. Barry White

BFochs: Quality intro and quality list of producers. Your name D.L.O. stands for Dialect Lyrical One, how does one come upon such a stylish and unique name?

D.L.O.: I got the name from a friend of mine in cypher back in 1995 when he told me my rhyme sounded like Dialect. I just added the Lyrical One.

BFochs
: I can dig the origin of the name, it's one of the better rap aliases I've heard in some time actually. You have been in the game since 1996, I would say your a seasoned veteran. On an experience level how would you rate yourself? What are some things you think you need to improve on? What are some things that you would say make you stand out and solidify you as an artist? If you had to some up your career thus far in a few words how would you do it?


D.L.O.: I would rate myself an 8 because I'm very hard on myself. I feel like if I think I'm always on top of my game then I'll get to comfortable which can cause laziness. Things I need to work on…hmmm...I would have to say being a perfectionist. Sometimes I tend to over think things when I write rhymes or make a beat. I believe what makes me stand out from the rest on the crowd is that I'm not afraid to be myself. My uniqueness as a person is what makes me different from everyone else musically. I am a conscience rapper and I think everyone in the Hip Hop game is too. I say that because you are conscience whether you dropping the real shit or the fake shit. As for my career I would sum it as with the word 'persistent.'

BFochs: Persistence is key, a lot of artists don't even know what that means haha. Madison, WI is a pretty live city, for the people have not been fortunate to hit up Madison yet what are some of the places that you would suggest they check out? What is the craziest thing that's happened in Madison since you lived there?

D.L.O.: I enjoy shooting some pool at the Brass Ring or seeing a show at the High Noon Saloon. There's usually a lot to do during the summer time which makes Madison a cool place like the Taste of Madison, Farmer's Market for the fresh food. I do wish the Hip Hop scene was bigger and more unified than it is now. That would make the summers even better. The craziest thing in Madison…Back in the late 90's I was the middle of a riot at the Mifflin Street block party. It was crazy seeing people bust windows and fire fighters hosing people down. I remember seeing it on national news.

BFochs: Lots to do in Madtown people, lots to do! I have partaken in the events at the Mifflin Block Party, I can only imagine how nuts it was. Wisconsin has always had a good amount of quality artists, but due to the market size label executives and A&Rs do not seem to be paying a lot of attention to our state. If you had an opportunity to talk to all the label execs that have been denying Wisconsin's music to be heard at a national level what would you say them? What would be some of your main points in your quest to gain recognition by these label heads.

D.L.O.: I would say that if you are really about making money you need to start looking at more artists from Madison and the Midwest in general. Kanye West, Madonna, Eminem, Common, Prince and Michael Jackson all came from the Midwest. I would tell the record head that they have to power to change the game if they choose to. The Hip Hop game needs balance and a lot of artists in Madison, besides myself, can give you that….Now give me that money and no you can't have my publishing!!!!!!!

BFochs: Hahahahaha, good to see you got your business right, a lot of artists have no clue how the logistics in the music business work. You have noted Dr. Dre, J. Dilla, Curtis Mayfield and Barry White as key influences, how have these invididuals influened you throughout your career? If you could work with any of the people that influence you, who would it be and why?

D.L.O.: I'm influenced by Dr. Dre's drums, J Dilla's sample chops, Curtis Mayfield's multi-layering structure and Barry White smoothness. I would work with Curtis Mayfield hands down…the man was a genius in my opinion. Curtis's sounds, along with James Brown, have heavily influenced Hip Hop.

BFochs:That's a strong set of influences, it definitely reflects in your music. You have been called the Kanye West of Madison. Are those comparisons accurate? What do you think of Kanye's pursuit of major crossover appeal with his new project that he has coming out? If you had the opportunity to bang out a track with Kanye West what would it sound like? What kind of concept do you think you guys would come up with?

D.L.O.: I appreciate people comparing me to someone on that level. It makes me feel like I'm heading in the right direction. As far as crossing over and Kanye, I don't think Kanye is purposely trying to cross over with his new material. Kanye is so large that anything he puts out is going cross over because he's Kanye… I like that he's not afraid to put out what he feels like “Love Lockdown.” I have no idea what Kanye and I would make if we worked to together. It would probably be pretty crazy. Hopefully I get a chance one day.

BFochs: A D.L.O. & Kanye West collabo would be intense, watch out people! Cliche BBB interview question time, what is your take on all the fuckery that's going down with our current economic status in the U.S.? Who are you rockin' with in this November's election? If you could personally talk to George W. Bush about what he's done in office the passed 8 years how would that conversation go down? What are some of the questions you would ask or comments you would make in this conversation?

D.L.O.: It just shows that the people running shit do not care about anything but making money. AIG gets two billion dollar bailouts and then throws a executive party for $400,000 while people are unemployed and struggling to put gas in their car??? That's fucked up…I'm going to Barack the Vote in November! We need really need him in office right now. If I were to meet George Bush I would say “you need to take a speech class,” and make him listen to Immortal Technique for a year straight.



BFochs: Big business needs to get it together, although I doubt it will happen, we can always hope. I second the notion of Bush taking a speech class, he needs to take an everything class because he's just that stupid. In your music you cover an array of topics, something a lot of artists don't do these days, what are some of the main focal points on your new album "Customer Service" as far as topic matter is concerned? Do you think as time goes on artistry will continue to transform to lesser important of music or do you think label execs and A&Rs will step in and groom artists to the point where there is a bigger pool of versatile artists?

D.L.O.: I named the LP Customer Service because that's what Hip hop is lacking. Back in the days you could get an LP with 80% good material. To me, that is what a person that purchases a LP deserves. The way things are going artistry will decrease in Hip Hop. The major labels are sticking with making the money which means sticking to whatever the people want to hear. However, technology and the internet have made it easier to be an independent artist which I think will increase artistry over time. It will balance out in time

BFochs: The web has indeed helped the independent music hustle a lot. Your new album "Customer Service' will be released soon, October 23rd to be exact, what are your expectations for this release? What do you hope to accomplish with "Customer Service?"

D.L.O.: I want to spark minds, move spines and sell as much product as possible and put food on my table!

BFochs: I smell what your steppin' in. In music it's not only the artist's job to make good music, but being that the industry is indeed a business it's also their job to provide good 'customer service.' How do you and North Coast Entertainment plan on providing the most quality 'customer service' to your fans?

D.L.O.: With real music, whether it's positive or negative, that connects with the people. We like to treat everyone like family and people realize that about North Coast and myself.

BFochs: That's what's up. Besides your album "Customer Service," what other projects can the fans expect from you and North Coast Entertainment? What do you think the future holds for you and the WI movement?

D.L.O.: I'm setting up a Wisconsin Tour. I plan to release a mixtape in a few months. I also have a instrumental LP in the works.

BFochs: Big shit poppin' people, watch out for D.L.O. and North Coast Entertaiment, WI means business! Any shout outs, comments or last words before we wrap this thing up?

D.L.O.: One love to North Coast Entertainment, Kalo, Dumate, Stink Tank, Rob Dz and Natty Nation and thank you for this interview, peace.

BFochs: Thank you once again for taking the time to do this interview D.L.O., I wish you and North Coast Entertainment continued success in anything you do.



IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE IN THE MADISON AREA THIS THURSDAY, OCTOBER 23RD CHECK OUT D.L.O.'S "CUSTOMER SERVICE" ALBUM RELEASE PARTY!!! DETAILS ARE BELOW!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment