Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

DJ Young Legend Chops It Up With BFochs!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


BFochs: What's goin' on DJ Young Legend? Good looks on takin' the time out of your hectic schedule for this interview. What's good though man, what's happenin' where your at?

DJ Young Legend: Naw man, Thank you, I didn't even know I was important enough to interview lol . I'm down here in Orlando Grindin', shout out to my homies Wes Fif and LB Of WordOfSouth.Com. I have a new mixtape droppin' November 23rd, titled "Standing Ovation."

BFochs: I can dig that man, always making moves, the grind never ends, the bizz is intense to say the least. Why don't you give the viewers out there a formal intro. Let 'em know who you are, where your from, who you're reppin' and the catchiest song you've ever heard.

DJ Young Legend: I'm DJ Young Legend From Philly,21 Years Old, I've been doin' this music shit since I was 14 years old. A lot of dudes might know me from the mixtape team Tapemasters Inc or you label reps might know me from leakin' your records lol. Shout out to Bumsquad DJZ and Tech.nitions. They're really the ones who got me started. I used to bug Latin Prince and DJ Ran all the time like "yo, Let me get down with ya crews, I bring a lot to the table and I'm a young dude too." LP invited me to join his crew Bumsquad DJZ years back, It was a very great experience, I met a lot of good people thru that crew.

From there, I got down wit Black Wallstreet. Shout out to [The] Game, Nu Jerzey Devil, the whole crew. That was back in like 2004, When Game used t o go by Chuck Taylor. I used to get all his music out too all the DJ's, mixshows and mixtapes and helped get him a buzz in the internet world. Shout out to my big homie Big Fase 100 too, That's my dawg. From there, I stayed In Nu Jerzey Devil's crib for like a summer. This was maybe 2006 I want to say, basically grindin', doin' whatever. Boxin' up cds, mixtapes, shirts, dvds, sittin' in on sessions,basically soakin' up knowledge from dude. One thing about Nu Jerzey Devil is, he is a hustler. He makes beats, DJ's, and now he raps. So shout out to him and the whole crew over there.

Mixtape wise, shout out to Papa Smirf and My Tapemasters Inc. Fam Lexx & Wexx. Smirf and I did one of Rick Ross's 1st mixtapes, "Rick Ross Freestyle Chronicles" and Tapemasters Inc, they got my name hot in the streets. I remember when they 1st brought me on board. I had a Mase record titled, "Breath, Stretch, Shake" that nobody else had. From there, They brought me on board. That record was on "Tapemasters Inc. Supremacy" mixtape, with Shyne On the cover. Then we went on to being featured in XXL's "ill techniques" section back in January 2005 I think it was, with Eminem on the cover. I accomplished a lot of shit, Justo Mixtape Award nominee, I was also nominated with Papa Smirf for a SEA award and I'm not even from the South lol. For the most catchiest song, I don't know, I mean there have been a lot of catchy records out since I've been born. I'd have to say Clipse "Grindin." When that shit came out, aw man, I remember when Pharell was explaining the record on Power 99. He was sayin' the beat reminded him of gorillas or some shit lol. Neptunes have always been ahead of there time.

BFochs: "Grindin" is a super sick song, I'd have to put that up in my all time favorites list amongst catchy songs. Man, you've been gettin' it in heavy for the passed few years, you're down with some of the elite cats in the game. You're from Philly, but now your down in Orlando. If you had compare Philly to one joint what would it be? If you had to do the same with Orlando which song would you pick and why?

DJ Young Legend: For Philly I'd have to say Cassidy "I'm A Hustler." Sorry, I know that was cliche', it is what is it. Philly is the home of hustlers. If you're from Philly you either make DVD's, rap, DJ, or you ball. Shit, a lot of dudes do all of the above. The industry is scared of Philly, but they all take our swag( I hate that word, lol ) Well the song for Orlando definitely wouldn't be Jeezy's "Vacation." People think Orlando is just Disney, but it really it isn't. Orlando has hoods and traps just like every other city. People actually live here, Disney is here, but a few miles down. There might be project housing, it's definitely real down here. There is a music scene down here as well, but it gets overlooked because of the Miami scene. A&R's are trippin', they should sign Wes Fif. He was on one of the biggest records of they year "Haterz" with B.O.B. , and he is on his mixtape grind heavy down here. I've seen the love he gets firsthand down here.

BFochs: For real, I can definitely co-sign that Wes Fif's music is the shit, his new tape with DJ Obscene is sick wit it. Ya'll need to fuck with Wes Fif people, dude is a breathe of fresh air in this fucked up game. You talked about how you got down with the Tapemasters Inc, who in my opinion are in the upper echelon for tape making crews. How did you initially get down with Tapemasters Inc? The mixtape game is wild as fuck, as you probably know way more than I do lol. From when you got into the tape game until now what do you think is the biggest change? What are the biggest pros and cons of making mixtapes?

DJ Young Legend: Yup definitely. I actually just emailed them. Like "yo, let me know show you what I can do, I've always been that dude, let me show you what I can do 1st then fuck wit me." Everytime I walk into a label, they're all smiles because they rarely see me, but they see the grind. The biggest change in the mixtape game nowadays is the internet. You can find so much music on the internet now. Back when I first started, a lot of people didn't really know about sites like Boxden and if they did, they kept it to themselves. Everybody does mixtapes now. A pro of doin' a mixtape is buildin' your own fanbase. If it's a good product, Anytime your fans see your name on it they'll cop it. A con is definitely no originality. Shout out to dudes like Clue, Envy, Big Mike and Smooth Denali. They're the reason why I loved mixtapes and they all kind of brought somethin' different to the table. Clue and Envy had the music. Mike had the personality and the music. Smooth had the 'best of's' on smash! I was a fan of this shit before I got into it 1st and foremost. I never thought I'd be in this industry.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic


BFochs: Big ups to the mixtape OG's, hell big ups to the OG's in the bizz period. It's so crazy how things have gotten, with the internet you can make things happen a lot faster. You mentioned that you helped get The Game's web buzz up so I know off top your e-promo game is proper lol. Some people's e-promo isn't proper though. Being that you're an e-promo vet I think it's safe to say you could teach a class on e-promo. For those starting out what would be the first lesson you'd teach them? What are the main things people have to keep in mind when doing promo online instead of the streets?

DJ Young Legend: Lol thanks. I'd say, first off, It's not just about an email blast. You can do a email blast, but at the same time brand yourself. That's why I started a website. A big rapper in the industry, who wants to remain nameless, called me maybe 2 months ago like "yo, you've been doin' these blasts and been in this industry for so long, why not run a website?" That's why, me and my partner Niko started www.thecheeba.com In the next couple of months you're going see a lot of hot interviews and video blogs on our site. Raappers talkin' about there favorite muchies, Who they wanna smoke with, etc. It's not just going to be a hip hop blog site. We are going to make it way bigger. The main things people have to keep in mind is BCC your email adresseses!!! Lol, I've gotten so many email adresses from dummies not BCC'ing lol.

BFochs: Same here man, I think like 2/3 of my blast list is from people not BCC'ing haha. Watch out for www.thecheeba.com people it's coming! That definitely sounds like a site I want to have bookmarked, I'm always looking for tips on finding more munchies lol. You noted that you were down with BWS/Czar Entertainment. What's it like working with the infamous Jimmy Henchmen? He's a vet in the game so I'm sure he's dropped some knowledge on you on more than one occasion. What's the best advice he's given you thus far?

DJ Young Legend: Yeah man, It's a blessing to work wit Jimmy. These wack ass rappers shit on Jimmy, but he is a good dude and he is about his business. The best advice from him is keep up the good work, ha ha ha. He respects the internet game and knows it necessary in this industry. Shouts out to Vic, Taja, Lil Henchmen, Spot and the whole CZAR Staff.

BFochs: Wise words from the legendary Jimmy Henchmen. Let's talk about current affairs for a second shall we? We were just fortunate enough to witness the most historic election ever, Barack Obama is now the president elect. Although our country is still messed up heavily, it seems like his victory gave us hope that things can change. Shine some light on your thoughts on this whole fiasco please.

DJ Young Legend: It's crazy. First black president. I'm not going to sit here and act like I'm into politics, but All I want is for the troops to come home and for Barack to be honest and upfront with us. That's it.

BFochs: Same here man, I'm the last dude you'd want to get advice on politics lol, the most involved I've ever been was this passed election haha. I agree, keep it real Obama, even when keepin' it real goes wrong. We'd rather know the truth, then some fuck shit lies like the previous administrations. Back to the music, you made a mention of some projects you got up, but can you give the viewers a little more info on all that stuff? Which artists that you are currently working with that people need to watch out for the rest of this year and 2009?

DJ Young Legend: Yeah man. Just my mixtape I'm droppin' November 23rd "Standing Ovation" and look out for my homie Tommy Stars from Philly. Dude is amazing www.myspace.com/ihatetommystars. Big Mike is workin' with him now and he is going to be on the new D - Block album which is comin' real soon. Shout out to my homie Redd Eyezz from Miami. He just inked with Asylum. I'm also workin' wit a kid from Compton named Young Life. He has been grindin' for a minute and I'm honored to be helpin' him with his music. Shout out to Far West Ent. and DJ KrisStylez. Also, look out for Jibbs new album comin' soon andnd request his new single "Keep It Gangsta" Ft. Pleasure P...and I'm a real dude, So if you wanna get @ me Hit me @ 407.968.8044 or djyounglegend@gmail.com ...artists, DJ's, whoever. Shout out to my homie Rocstar P too. He is on his grind out in Philly, next big tv star, myspace.com/rocstarp M.I.A.M.I. The DVD Part 1 & 2 out now.

BFochs: That's some real shit people, in today's day and age a lot of people aren't willing to make such a direct connection with the people out there. Watch out for all those projects folks, DJ Young Legend don't fuck with that wackness so you know if he says watch out you better watch out! I got one last question then we can get this thing in the books. As soon as I seen your name it sparked this question.

DJ Young Legend: Lol, shoot homie.

BFochs: Out of anyone that's young that's doing their thing, in any field who else would you consider a young legend? Name 5 if you can.

DJ Young Legend: Soulja Boy... Sickamore...Lebron James... Chris Brown...and Bow Wow.

BFochs: Good list man, whether you hate or love those 5 people, you CAN NOT deny that they are doing their thing. Well that is it my man, you made it through another session of real talk with BFochs haha. Any shout outs, last words or comments before we finalize this thing?

DJ Young Legend: Just shout out to BFochs, I still can't believe you wanted to interview me, but thanks alot. Shout out to Philly, I love ya'll, stop beefin' and let's get this $$$. Boogie watup !!... Tone Trump what's good? Shout out to Sosa Fresh and Most Famous, Daddy O what's good? He is next up from Philly too. Shout out to Sean Kingston and DJ Kelo. We got somethin' nice comin' up for TheCheeba.Com. Oh and my dude AC from Staten Island. If you ain't up on dude your're sleepin'. He BEEEEEEEEN next up!..and he is apart of the Tapemasters Inc. fam. So it's all love, big ups to dude.

BFochs: Word 2 big bird, watch out for DJ Young Legend people, this dude ain't fuckin' around! Big ups once again for the opportunity to interview you man, I wish the best for you in anything you do!

DJ Young Legend: Thanks homie.


No comments:

Post a Comment