Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Hevehitta Chops It Up With BFochs!


Image and video hosting by TinyPic


BFochs: What's the good word Hevehitta? Big ups on taking the time out of your daily grind to chop it up with BFochs. What's happenin' though man, what are you up to?

Hevehitta: Chillen BFochs. Right now I just finished up two projects with my partner DJ Unexpected.

BFochs: That's what it is, you guys stay grinding, can't hate the hustle. Let's get this interview started with an intro. Let the e-streets know who you are, where your from, what movement your reppin', and the funniest mixtape cover you've ever seen.

Hevehitta: Hevehitta - Representing Poughkeepsie, New York (Upstate). Don't have a movement, but I'm just trying to put out quality mixtapes for the people in the streets to enjoy and appreciate. Funniest mixtape cover? This knock off DJ 2 Mello - Summer Breeze 3 cover that was just recently made by some dude over at offcialpsds.com. Definitely something 2 Mello would never get (laughs).

BFochs: The frauds always provide a good laugh, the fact that they are frauds alone will make you chuckle, nonetheless what they try to pull. It's safe to say you're deep in the mixtape game. You and your partner, DJ Unexpected, have been getting it in heavy. When did you cats initially link up and decide you wanted to make this mixtape takeover thing a joint effort?

Hevehitta: I met Unexpected about 3 or 4 years ago through Miami Kaos. I orginally started my mixtape career with him and Kochece. We use to release joints as the "3 Wisemen." After a few mixtapes, we decided to go our separate ways and follow our solo mixtape careers. By the end of 2007, Unexpected and I talked and agreed that if we became a team and put out consistently good material throughout 2008, we would see the benefits of our work. We click together well, as we both come up with good ideas and/or concepts, plus with his DJ skill, you cannot lose.

BFochs: This is true, alone you do your thing, but as a team shit gets even more sick wit it. You mentioned that you come up with good concepts, which I completely co-sign 100 percent, out of all the tapes coming out this year, I think you guys are in the upper echelon when it comes to creativity concept-wise. Concepts/ideas are a 'heve' part of the mixtape game it seems, what other areas of the mixtape do you consider 'heve'? What are some areas that you don't shouldn't be focused on as much? What does the perfect mixtape look like to you?

Hevehitta: Concept is the key to a good mixtape in my opinion. Even if it's something as easy as a "compilation" mixtape, you can still make it a dope one. I look at the mixtapes as this. The first 50 percent is putting the mixtape together. Collecting the songs. Getting a host (if necessary). Mixing it down. Etc. The second 50 percent is promotion. That's the part that a lot of DJ's seem to lack today. You can have the best mixtape in the world, but, if no one hears or sees that mixtape, it's only hot to you. You have to promote these mixtapes. I see DJ's thinking if they put it up for download on a message board then they are all good. That "If you build it, they will come" mentality does not work in this game. You have to promote! Constantly promote yourself and/or your projects.

BFochs: Marketing is crucial in this wicked game known as the music business. The game is so damn crazy, it should really be in the insane asylum (laughs) If you had to compare the music game to a board game which board game would it be? Do you think it's going to get better or worse? If it was up to you personally, which things would you change this instant?

Hevehitta: I think the music game is like the game Monopoly. All these DJ's and rappers want to do is "takeover", just like in the game Monopoly. You can't share anything in this game, it can only be for you. Terrible mentality I say. The music industry can always be better, because you need progression. Right now, labels and executives are dealing with the transition of the technology age. They came too late with it, and now they are seeing the downside of it. Artists are having a terrible time also because of it. Not just internet bootlegging and what not, but because they are getting less and less control of their own music. Now with 360 deals, rappers are now losing more money before they even earn it. One thing I would change is how rappers are being marketed. As I stated before, marketing is essential. This quick schemes labels are trying to do today to promote artists is corny. Making up phony stories to get your artist popular. Not even about the music anymore, it's about who you have beef with or who you have slept with. Lets get back to the roots of this game, and bring it back to the music.

BFochs: That's a great point, they just throw music in the microwave, hit the timer, then serve it up, no real effort put into making quality, timeless music. I notice a lot of mixtapes are pretty wack, there's a lot of these so called 'DJs' making tapes, which can be good because it makes your job easier, but on a broader scale it decreases the overall quality of the mixtape in general. Let's say you could set a list of requirements one would need to meet before they even tried to make a tape, what would they be? If you could hold a meeting with all the wack DJs and give them advice on how to get that word 'wack' off their title what would you say to them?

Hevehitta: First thing I would say is respect the game. I find with a lot of the new DJ's, they don't even know anything about the mixtape game. They just see dollar signs (when they are not even making money). Know the history about the mixtape game too. For you to be in the mixtape game, I would have thought these DJ's would know the history behind it, but I see that's not the case at all. It's tough I must say. I have tried to school the newer cats about the history of the game, because that's how I was brought into it. I had OG's and OG DJ's who taught me the in's and out's of the game, plus I was a collector of mixtapes for over 6 years before I came into the game. Sadly, a lot of the DJ's I tried to help just dismissed what I had to say and continued to do what they thought was right. I don't know BFochs. These new kids don't even seem to care about the history. What actually made the mixtape game of today.

BFochs: You have to know where stuff came from or you won't know where it's going, young folks just have no respect these days, sheesh. All you can do I guess is do your thing and hope some rise and take heed to what you do. Let's stray away from the mixtape talk and touch a subject that's a very hot topic right now, and that's the economy. The shit is pure, uncut wack. Do you think new president elect Barack Obama can fix this matter, or all the stuff he was talking about in his campaign was just smoke and mirrors? I heard that his vice president, Joe Biden, is a stickler with the RIAA enforcement and what have you, and that he might crack the whip on mixtape DJ's. What is your take on this matter? If you could chop it up with Biden and explain the matter at hand so he doesn't wig out on the mixtape game what would you tell him?

Hevehitta: Obama can please anyone he likes but it's congress at the end of the day that decides what is going to happen in the economy. One thing that annoyed me with this election when it came to Hip Hop; was that these rappers only told you to vote for Obama. Majority of the rappers really never gave you a reason why or if they did they said "because he's better than McCain". Which I felt was a stupid comment, with nothing backing it up. Majority of these rappers never told you to find out info about your congressman in your state plus learn about the issues that are happening in your own town. The only rapper I saw who spoke about learning your issues and your local issues was Bun B of UGK. I thank him for bringing that up in his interviews, and thats why he's a true OG. Biden and his RIAA buddies do not care about the mixtape game, and nothing you can say to them will change that. The RIAA fines all these people for "stealing music", and do you think that money they are awarded goes back to the artists? No, it doesn't. Is the RIAA for the music industry? No they are not. They say they help stop music stealing, but that just looks nice on paper.

BFochs: Bun B is the King of the Trill for a reason, because he keeps it 100 ALWAYS, doesn't matter what the subject matter is. Biden is just a puppet for the RIAA, they need to kill that dumb shit and worry about the dollar being worth as much as a penny, there is bigger fish to fry! Back to the music, your tapes have not only gained you respect from your peers, but some cool accolades as well, such as a 2009 SEA nomination and some shine on MTV's "Mixtape Monday." Big ups on those accomplishments, what is more important to you, accolades such as the ones listed above or respect in the game? What are some other accolades or levels of success are you trying to accomplish in the mixtape game?

Hevehitta: Respect is always great to have in this game. Something I appreciate. The fans appreciating my work is probably my number one favorite though. For a fan to take time out of his or her day to email you or leave a message on your myspace page to say they enjoyed your latest mixtape is a great feeling. I never expected by the age of 22 I would have fans (laughs). One level of success is I would like to put out an album one day with my partner DJ Unexpected. I know we could bring a different type of album to the table, and not just follow the same album formula that is used today. I feel it's something Unexpected and I could reach in the near future with the success we have been having lately. I hope we can accomplish that goal.

BFochs: Shit man, your tapes are nasty, a full scale album would be intense as fuck, keep me in the loop on that, that'll be a must cop. You mentioned that being a goal, so we can look forward to seeing that happen some day. What are some things we can expect to see from you guys in the near future? If you could pick one DJ's style besides your own to describe the kind of year you plan on having in 2009 whose would it be and why?

Hevehitta: You can just expect more quality product from Unexpected and myself. We have spoken on a new ideas we are going to bring in 2009, and I'm sure you will see/hear them soon. The style I would have to choose for the 2009 year would be my man Unexpected's. We always giving fans crazy ideas "unexpectedly." We are just going to continue to put out great material if the fans keep asking for it. When the fans stop, we'll stop. Hopefully the fans will keep asking for us for a long time to come (laughs).

BFochs: Oh I think they will, unless they don't want raw stuff to listen to (laughs). I got a few left field questions then we can wrap this thing up. First question. You and DJ Unexpected obviously make a good duo. What are your top 5 duos in ANYTHING. Could be sports, music, whatever. Explain your choices please.

Hevehitta: 1. Outkast - They never held anything back when making music. If they felt it was right, they would do it. That's how Unexpected and I are. If we think it's hot, we just follow our heart and do it. No politcs involved. 2. UGK - Another great duo here. They just brought raw street element from the South, and made it become real on records. They also complimented each other on tracks, which is something else Unxpected and I do well on mixtapes. 3. Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Just brought so much soul to the game. Got to love it. Soulful like a DJ Unexpected intro (laughs). 4. The Clipse - Just plain raw. That's the mentality Unexpected and I go into when making mixtapes. We don't polish up tracks, or play a bunch of nice sound effects. We give you straight raw material from start to finish. A way a mixtape should be. 5. 50 Cent and Tony Yayo - Reason why I say these 2 is because they loyal to each other. We'll always be loyal to each other. Something that's missing in the game today. I always feel Unexpected and I will be loyal to one another because of the bond we have made throughout this music career.

BFochs: Damn, that's a solid 5 man, a very good response, especially the 50/Yayo, loyalty is lost damn near completely in everything today, cats are just too greedy and wack...I tells ya. Last question then I'll sequence and press this thing up. You've been featured on MTV's "Mixtape Monday" as stated earlier. What if MTV was like 'fuck the bullshit, Hevehitta and DJ Unexpected are too sick, we need them to host a mixtape show on our channel." With that being said, what would be the name of the show, and what are some of the things we would see on the show?

Hevehitta: The name of the show would be called "The Wax Museum." We would talk about the mixtape game, the history of the game, teach the youth what this game is about. Also, because Unexpected and myself are avid vinyl collectors; we would definitely have to show the history of vinyl, and why it is still important today. Not everything can be found on mp3, especially if certain songs were only pressed up in limited quantity. The power of vinyl is still very high today, even in the age of technology that we are in. So, the show would feature mixtapes, DJ'ing, and vinyl collecting.

BFochs: I think that would be a very high-rated show on MTV, not wanting to learn about the mixtape game should be illegal, if that was the case there wouldn't be as many DJ's, they'd be all locked up (laughs). That's all I got man, good shit, any shout outs, last words or comments before we finish?

Hevehitta: Thank you BFochs for taking the time out to do this interview. Big shout out to my partner DJ Unexpected, and my two good friends in this industry - OG Tapemasta and Miami Kaos. Look out for more Unexpected and Hevehitta collabos in the near future. Hopefully Unxpected and I can bring home that best duo award this year at the Justo's! You can check out my catalog over at my myspace: www.myspace.com/hevehitta

BFochs: That's what it is mane, big ups once again for doing the interview! I wish you and yours the best of luck in anything you do in the future, take it easy!

Hevehitta: Good looks BFochs.



1 comment: