Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Monday, January 26, 2009

Baltimore MC 810 Chops It Up With BFochs!



BFochs: 810 What’s the good word due, big ups on takin’ the time out of your grind for this interview. What’s poppin’ though man, what are you up to right now?

810: It's about 7pm over here, I'm probably gonna write some music after this.

BFochs: That's what's up, gotta keep those heaters coming. Let’s get it started with a good ole intro eh? Let ‘em know who you are, where you are from, and the most unknown fact about the area you’re from as far as the music scene is concerned.

810: I'm 810, Straight outta Baltimore, When people at look me they usually don't expect me to be a rapper. I feel Like the odd ball compared to most of the cats here, but that never bothered me. I keep my music 100%, I aint tryna sell a image, no gimmicks, just music, just me.

BFochs: I can respect that, you gotta give it to 'em raw and uncut. Off top, I thought 810 was an area code in Baltimore or something, but after a good google search I came to the conclusion it is not. How did you get the name 810? What does 810 stand for? Do you think you can bring the much needed balance to the game with your music?

810: Lol I used to call myself Bushy because of the way I would wear my hair in a big bush but after I cut it off I kinda grew out of the name. It's weird how often people ask me if 810 is an area code or they'll say something stupid like did I add 400 to 410 which is the B-More area code. When I was coming up with a name I felt like it had to be something clever and it still represents me. 810 is a acronym for my birthday, I was born August 10, 1989. As far as balance in hip hop goes, I think there should be little more in the mainstream, but in my opinion the game will always lean in one direction and with that said I'm not worried about bringing balance, I just rather get my point across.

BFochs: That's true, you just gotta do you and the rest will hopefully develop. All I really know about Baltimore is what I've seen on The Wire, and that's a TV show, so I know most of it is bullshit haha. I have heard that some things on that show depict what's really going on in the community there though. What kind of truths does "The Wire" give to your city? How has living their shaped your music career thus far? Besides you, what artist(s) from B-More does the world have to watch out for?

810: I would say about half truth, The Wire was good and bad for the city, It was a hit show with great storylines and great actors and it gave us attention. A lot of things portrayed do happen here, but only to an certain extent. Everybody here ain't killers, dealers & fiends. That's the bad side because people are scared to come here like “I seen how it goes down on The Wire” and the fact that people expect every rapper from here to be some figment from the wire limits us. But I gotta be real, the city has added a sense of being down to earth and reality to my music. And besides me there are a lot of talented people in Baltimore, but the person that comes to the top of my head is Black Sunn.

BFochs: The show did indeed kind of brand your city even though that's not accuratly how everything is. Black Sunn can spit like a mofo, you and that dude need to make a supergroup haha. You've only been spittin' for 6 years, but you have the depth of someone who has been in the game for many many years. How long did it take you to get to this point as an artist? What in your opinion is your strongest suit? What do you think is lacking in the game the most nowadays?

810: I really don't know, it was like one day I was wack the next day everybody was tellin me I'm nice, but at the same time at the age of 15 up to now all I did was write rhymes, I think rap is the reason why I flunked outta school once. At the end of the day you're either nice or you ain't. I wouldn't be able to tell you my strongest suit because I'm my worst critic I feel like that's the only was I can continue to get nicer, but I feel like I do everything well.

BFochs: I think you got everything under control thus far, youre versatility is what I dig the most. You got the skills, you got the drive, it appears things are going to pan out for you regardless. When the time comes to sign deals and all that what type of deal are you hoping to get the most? With the industry being as messed as it is do you think being on major label is even a good decision at this point and time?

810: I'm not really pressed about scoring a record deal as much as am just getting music heard.

I still think there is hope on major labels but people need to understand that a major label is not gonna give you much, if you not “pop” so I realize if I was on a major I would still be responsible for my level success. If the deal was right we could work something out.

BFochs: Get your shit together labels and sign 810 damnit!!! You’ve linked up with producer Mydus quite a few times I noticed. When did you initially met and get to turning out tracks together? Will we see a lot more work from you guys in the future?

810: About a year ago, Black Sunn kept raving about Mydus, one day while sitting in my living room Sunn played me Mydus's “Cold Brew” mixtape. After that I knew we had to make some music. Expect a lot of big things from me and Mydus.

BFochs: Ya'll crank out heaters, I can't wait to hear more stuff from you two. You have your “Supply And Demand” mixtape coming out shortly, from what I’ve heard so far, I can tell this will be a solid project. What kind of route did you take when you made “Supply And Demand” musically? What are some of the kind of tracks we can expect to see on this project?

810: I just went with the sound I liked, As far as the message I just wanted to inspire. To be honest “Supply and Demand” is a album we put in extra work for this project, only reason I can't label it an album is because I”m not at a level where I can mass distribute it, yet.

BFochs: The time will come where you'll have that distro, it's just a matter of time. After “Supply And Demand” where do you plan on going from there? What does 2009 hold for 810? Where would you like to be by 2010?

810: More music more hard work

BFochs: Short, sweet and simple, I can dig it. Where do you see hip hop in 10 years? Within the next 10 years, what are 3 things that you set to accomplish with your career? What is the one thing you want to avoid the most?

810: Thats a difficult question, but in my opinion I think Hip Hop will diversify as far as artists go and I believe that Hip Hop's audience will change. The only thing I wanna avoid is mediocrity.

BFochs: If you keep up at the rate your going 'mediocrity' and '810' will never go in the same sentence. Time to stray away with the textbook interview questions and ask some zingers! Lol. First off, if you could get an endorsement deal with ANY company who would you want it to be and why?

810: Lamborghini, I dont know if or when I be able to afford one, but that's my favorite car company or Xbox maybe they can gimme my own game someday lol.

BFochs: XBox and Lamborghini pay attention!!! Lol. Let's say you had to use the same bar at least once in every song you do the rest of your career, which line would it be and why? Out of all the punchlines/multi's/etc that you've incorporated into your music, which one are you most proud for creating?

810: That's a tough question, but I'd have to say “I can walk a million miles one step at a time” to me that shit represents this whole process of getting what you want outta life. You start off here and then you end of in whole new world it seems like.

BFochs: That's true, many steps are taken in this journey called life. People seem to be experimenting with different techniques/sounds more than ever to broaden their artistic depth and fan base. If given a budget for an project where you have all the creative control, which route would you take it, note that it's got to be an 'experimental' type of feel/sound/etc.

810: Ok I'mma say something I know no one has ever done, A Classical hip hop album, using classical music lol.

BFochs: Damn, that'd be crazy to here, well you called it, if anyone swagjacks it we know who came with that concept first lol. That's all I got bro, do you have any shout outs, last words or comments before we wrap this thing up?

810: Shout out to every one who listens to my music, Peace to anybody who thinks I”m wack, shout out to everyone who is gonna take part in my movement, they know who they are. And definitely I'mma shout out this blog BFochs!

BFochs: No doubt mane, keep crankin' out that ill shit, you got my support all day. Good shit 810, thanks once again for doing the interview mane, I wish you and yours the best in anything you do in the future, take it easy bro!

810: Peace


No comments:

Post a Comment