Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Friday, January 30, 2009

G.C. Chops It Up With BFochs!


BFochs: What's the good word G.C., thanks for takin' time out of the grind to do this interview bro, what's happenin'?

G.C.: It ain't shit, I always take time out for fam! You already know how it goes!! I’m vibin’ as always! What's good with you BFochs?

BFochs: Not a whole lot mane, just e-grindin’ and coolin’, same ole same ole. I've posted your stuff on the spot before, but there's always folks sleepin’ so let's get these folks a little more familiar with the man that is G.C. Let 'em know who you are, where you are from, the movement you are reppin', and the most fucked up incident the rap game has presented you thus far.

G.C.: Well as you know I’m G.C., holding down the infamous Palm Beach County (Delray Beach) repping Block Runnaz, that’s the crew you need to get familiar with. The most fucked up incident I would say would have to be when I started rapping. I knew this cat named Dela Candela, at the time he was poppin’ off down here had a single ft. Rick Ross (at the time Ross had just came out with "Hustlin" and "Push it to the Limit"). Me thinking he was gonna pop off I invested in a verse I threw him a stack (I'm talking this is 2 to 3 years ago I was 16 rolling around with that money).

He laid down one of the hottest verses I ever heard, released the song, got a little buzz going in my county and in South Florida. Within the next two months, dude just stopped, moved to Las Vegas and I never heard from him ever again! So I was left with a verse I paid for, from an artist that wasn't poppin! At that time shit was fucked up. But that was before I got in the game heavy and met Flo-rida! Thats another story!

BFochs: Damn that’s fowl bro, the game is mad wicked. You hail from Florida, home to one of the most booming music scenes in the entire business. Do you feel that since your area is doing so well that you have to step up your game to keep the level of intensity up? Who is the best artist to ever come out of your immediate area?

G.C.: Well nowadays everybody and their mother is a rapper! You gotta think "outside the box." You gotta be different, that’s why I experiment with all type of plug-ins and such when I rap. To me this isn't a game. I got a Bachelors Degree in music engineering and I'm an artist. I know what I want in music, it gives me an advantage over all these fuck boys that think they can rap and engineer! You just need to sit back smoke a blunt, be creative, don’t be afraid to mix genres! To come out of Palm Beach my favorite is Suave Smooth, he’s an older cat, but a Legend out here if you from South Florida you know Suave, he got a voice that you can't forget, "if you know his voice you know his name" is his slogan! He’s different and talented, to me hands down the best to come out my area. (He's featured on my street album "SWAG OR DIE").

BFochs: I smell what your steppin’ in, knowing is half the battle! There's a large amount of unsigned artists trying to explode into the game. What advantages do you and your crew have compared to other artists on the come up? Ideally what would be the best situation for you label-wise, what does the dream deal look like to G.C.?

G.C.: The advantage is that we are good, different and our own style. J. Dog is a monster on tracks, Spyda is holding down the rastafarai vibe and me, I'm me! The best label situation is none! To me why fund myself now and make really good music if Im with a label they gonna fund me ok, but they gonna make money off me. I don’t want a label deal, I want a distribution deal! So that way I make most of my money as an indie label and I get my shit out there. That's the perfect deal!

BFochs: Having your own style and lane is clutch, that sounds like a good type of label deal to have, fuck letting them make a bunch of money off you. I noticed you have a way of just spitting regularly then at the end of every couple bars you spit another batch of real talk, when did you devise this type of style? Who do you think are the 5 most stylish artists in the game? What do you think is the most important aspect of being an artist?

G.C.: To tell you the truth, I just spit me man, whatever comes to mind I guess that’s the way I think! I'm a real cat, very humble. I ain’t trying to outshine nobody when I’m with them, I let my music speak for itself. My style is unique, I rap with the tempo, first 4 bars I try speed it up after and then change the tempo after. You hear 3 different styles sometimes in one verse because I don’t want my shit to ever sound the same! If you’re the same why are people gonna like you?

5 most stylish would be Martin Louis King Jr. (Kanye West), Jay-Z, Rick Ross (got crazy swag), Flo-Rida, Outkast. To me they all bring a different swag to the game, they all are crazy with the lyrics and the flow, to me they have all their own style. They are pioneers, people look up to and wanna be like them. They are trendsetters! Definitely people I look up to. The most important aspect is be yourself and be real. Don’t try to live someone else's life, do you in your music and it will speak for itself!

BFochs: Oh ok, I see what your doing. Word it’s key to just do you, fakin’ the fonk is not what’s up. I'm all for gaining knowledge about areas of the country and what better way than asking someone from a different area of the country lol. Florida probably has some of the best eats in the world and I know the club scene is ridunkulous. What are 3 raw places to get food and what are the 3 best clubs in your area?

G.C.: Shit,I’ma put y'all on some shit from my area then, best places to eat, shit, there’s this chain of restaurants call “Senor Burrito” when you want to get your Mexican on! Pei Wei is where I get my Chinese ob and Tom BBQ get my motherfucking SOUL FOOD on my brother! For clubs when I wanna keep it hood I go up to West Palm Beach and Ultra Lounge keep it gutta . Mad artists role through. Passions Night Club in the Hard Rock and get your grown man on (performed there with Flo-Rida, I opened up for him) and Mansion on South Beach!

BFochs: /Takes vigorous notes, lol. It seems like more and more people are swagjacking people's ideas and concepts for music nowadays, what is your take on this spike of swagbuglaring? What do you think is the best way to deal with swaggerjackers?

G.C.: Swagbuglaring to me is on some bitch shit. Get your own swag man, don't try to be someone you’re not. To me anyone that jacks swag needs to die! Remember y'all check out SWAG OR DIE the album!

BFochs: I share the same sentiments about swagburglars, DIE! Check out Swar Or Die too dangnamit! You got that Bachelor's degree with music engineering, so I'd imagine your studio skills are top rank. What is the most fun part about mixing joints? What are a few misconceptions about studio sessions? What is the hardest part about music engineering?

G.C.: I mean degrees don't mean shit in engineering to tell you the truth, I just did it to be like ‘I got a diplioma in engineering is skills,’ you develop over a long period of time! A fun part about mixing joints is you put a little bit of your personality into someone else's music. You can tell when I mix a joint real bass heavy with emphasis vocals because I'm a rapper so I already know that’s what rap artists do! Mixing skills are serious though, Im not gonna lie, Im the Mike Jordan of mixing as well as recording hahahaha!

See people think that studio sessions are all drugs, alcohol, people snorting coke on the side, bitches everywhere naked, they think it’s a party. To tell you the truth, as an engineer you can’t be phased by all that, you keep doing your work. As an artist though, I don’t take it that far, I bring my people through. We chill, smoke our blunts, drink our lean and make good music, we try to keep partying when we in clubs, studio is our work place and that’s how it should be treated.

The hardest part about music engineering would have to be pleasing the artist, when an artist is there with you they always and I repeat, always want there vocals louder than anything in the track which, I understand because I’m an artist myself, but that throws the whole mix. I’m definitely down for high vocals, but artists always be fronting, they’re always want it louder man! If you’re an artist listen to me!!! Don’t ask your engineer to make it louder. Louder is not always better, just sit back, let your peeps tell you what needs to be fixed and then let him know what you think needs to be changed!

BFochs: Word.com, mixing seems like a piece of work, but fun. Take the good man’s advice artists, let the engineers do their job! Lol. Obama just stepped into the White House as our new president, which is obviously some legendary shit, what long term affects of the Obama administration do you foresee taking place? Do you think our country is fucked up beyond repair or is there a chance we can get back to where we were?

G.C.: See I feel like Obama is going to be used as an escape goat by the government a black man in office they gonna use him and put everything on him if he doesn't succeed it’s going to be horrible time in America. I can't vote if I could I would have Voted Obama 100 percent I agree with his views on foreign affairs I agree with his views on how this country should be ran, very educated person I stand by him! but I don’t know how it’s going to be handled we will see I guess we have 4 years with him hopefully he can turn around the mistakes that Bush has made over his last 8 years of tyranny!

It’s going to get worse before it gets better that for sure. The economy in U.S (the WORLD ALSO) is so fucked up when Target...Best Buy.....these big companies are licensing out thousands of jobs you know you’re in deep shit target this year hasn’t met they quota on sales! What the fuck does that mean? Hahaha that crazy! Hopefully it does get better gas went down but everything else going up and we still making the same money!

BFochs: Yeah it’s crazy bro, hopefully this shit gets sorted out. What can we expect to see from the Block Runnaz in the '09 and beyond? What are the main projects you got coming up? If you had to some up your plans for this year with a song you've done before which song would it be and why?

G.C.: Well Block Runnaz Ent. /management (I know you weren't expecting that) but shit MY mixtape/street album (all original beats me and my producers have worked on for the last year) Swag Or Die is coming out soon....no release date just know it’s a motherfucking problem shooting for March/April (was supposed to be Feb 14th) pushed back due to new HITS being made every day!

I as a manager am going to bring you with the help of TOOKNOWN two artist we signed to the company, Flurdee B and Alpo 2 brothers out of Delray Beach Florida (my home Town) they going to be a problem! working on couple singles with Speed for radio....working on a joint mixtape with top knotch (lionhead family I see you) and one with Freshboi, Spyda, J. Dog, and I "4 Corners of Palm BEACH" which is gonna be so crazy first single was "SUMMER OF LOVE" prod. by DJ unreal aka my DJ! A lot of projects, Flurdee B(mixtape is called:"I RAP I SING") and Alpo mixtapes coming soon! And if I could pick one song I’ve done to sum up my plans, it would be "Posted On The Corner" because even if I get signed, even if I make millions, even if I don't I'ma still be posted where I started because it made me who I am! YA DIG?

BFochs: I dig it with a shovel Barney Rubble. You mentioned the some of the ill clubs in your area. If you could open up your own club what would it be called? What would the general layout look like inside? Who would you have perform opening night?

G.C.: I wouldn't open up a club, I would open up a LOUNGE where people could get drinks and food! It would be by the beach because you know we’re from South Florida, the weather is always nice! The layout would be a dance floor, tables outside tables on the beach just chillen. The name of the lounge would probably be called VIBE! because that’s the atmosphere I want to bring to people! For opening night I would either have John Legend, The Dream, and Ne-Yo, real smooth!

BFochs: I dig the set-up, I dig the line-up, good answer. Lastly, what if Florida fucked with your movement so hard they gave you your own day, what would the day be called, what day would it be?

G.C.: Shit if Florida, more like when Florida realizes the talent Palm Beach County has they will fuck with us! The day would be a day where we LEAN, hahaha because I stay on that LEAN! All day everyday (y'all ain't really leaning like we are down here only Houston and Memphis) and it wouldn't be one day it be the whole year!

BFochs: Wow, that’d be intense, a whole year.I smell what you’re steppin’ in though, good shit! That's all I got for ya bro, you got any shout outs, last words or comments before we wrap this thing up?

G.C.: First, I gotta shout out Block Runnaz, Spyda, ,J-Dog, Top Knotch, Lionhead Family, Flurdee B, Alpo, TooKnown,New Breed, PS Management, Young Brick, Dj Unreal, Dj Gorilla, Daedor, Suave Smooth, T-Touch,Terry Bennet, HearitFirst.net, J Tha Kidd, Remedy, Dark Side Thugs, Hitmen, Warlok, NikasoSmooth, Wes Fif, PALM BEACH COUNTY, FLORIDA BFOCHS, I fucks with you heavy! Check out SwagorDie.com, get the album "SWAGORDIE" and "I RAP I SING," make sure you get J-Dog’s mixtape “Back In The Lab Take 4.” I’m on there, track 13 and on Top Knotch Mixtape im on there on 4 tracks!

BFochs: That’s what it is people. Thanks once again for takin' the time out of the grind to do this interview G.C.! I wish you and your crew the best in anything ya'll do in the future, take it easy mane!

G.C.: Bet that up, make sure y'all fuck with my boy BFochs!


No comments:

Post a Comment