Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Roosevelt Treasurechest From Ruby Hornet Chops It Up With BFochs!


BFochs: Mr. Treasurechest, I greatly appreciate you giving me the opportunity to interview you, how goes it man? What's goin' in Chi right now?

DJ RTC: As I’m typing this, we are in the midst of nice little snow storm, which has given me a well needed snow day break. My car is parked safely, and the heat is fully functional, so I’m not mad at it.

BFochs: Midwest weather, especially for cities by the Great Lakes, is for the birds, good to see you got a break from the grind. I'm quite sure the e-streets are well aware of who you are and the site you have, but regardless, we gotta let 'em know again, Tell them who you are, where you are from, the movement/site your reppin' and the funniest thing you've ever seen on a blog.

DJ RTC: I got the e-streets on lock! I’m just playing...My name is Roosevelt Treasurechest, or DJ RTC, Naledge told me that’s a lot smoother and easier to say, so I’m rocking with that going forward. I’m from Hyde Park, a really eclectic neighborhood on the South Side of Chicago, home to a top level University, and people such as Common, Muhammad Ali, R. Kelly, Upski, and this one guy you may have heard of, Barack Obama...I am the official DJ of PHLI Worldwide and Brainiac Society, and of course a founder of RubyHornet with Benny Rocs. RubyHornet is at the heart of everything, and serves as the foundation for all this right now.

BFochs: If you didn't know folks, now you do! RubyHornet is crackin' heavy, it is one of the more known hip hop related sites on the web. When was it created? What were your main motives for gettin' RubyHornet going and what did you hope to achieve by gettin' it going? RubyHornet is a pretty slick name, I know there's gotta be some crazy meaning behind it, can you shine some light on that?

DJ RTC: RubyHornet was an idea in the early part of 2008, and officially launched in early March. I have been a journalist for about 5 years, as well as a DJ. I previously ran SoundSlam.com, and did other random things inside Chicago’s music industry. I met Benny Rocs in the summer of 2007 and we had similar interests. Our parent company was involved heavily in web design, hosting, traffic, etc. and were looking to start a website. They tapped me, and RubyHornet was born. Our goal has always been to celebrate and showcase urban culture in the full spectrum. That means urban in the sense of downtown Chicago, the southside, west side, etc...We also aim to report on music and culture as active participants, not outsiders looking in. Our hope is to be seen as lovers of what we cover, as well an authority on what we cover. As far as the name goes, we wanted a name that would spark interest, but there is a deeper meaning. A ruby is a gem, which is hard to find, and harder to obtain. A similar philosophy is at the heart of my DJ name (Roosevelt Treasurechest) in that good music, fashion, writing etc..may take time to develop and discover, but that’s what we feel life is about.

BFochs: I knew it! The site title did have some deep meaning, that's dope man, it sure as hell sons "BFochs Beats Blog" haha. The fact you are active participants in the music scene in Chicago is a great attribute for your site, I respect what ya'll are doing for the scene heavy. The blog game=wilder than the wild wild west. What is your take on this new phenomen that seems to have exploded this year? What do you think makes a blog 'viewable'? Do you think things will get even more intense on the blog scene in 2009? If you had to compare this blog explosion to any event that every occured in Chicago which event would it be and why?

DJ RTC: Just to be clear though, RubyHornet is not a ‘blog per say’. We view ourselves and function as an online magazine with a blog section. But you’re exactly right. Blogging is definitely all the rage, and I expect that to continue into the future. As I said, I previously worked at SoundSlam.com, and I remember the early stages of blogs like Nah Right. At the time I saw the minimal posts, and thought, 'there’s no words! There’s no way this will catch on.’ But in time I saw the error of my thinking, and now blogs have taken over the internet. Blogs amplify voices, many voices that were unable to reach a speaker previously.

Anyone with internet access can signup for a free blog, and bam, broadcast their ideas. However, with that there comes a loss of checks and balances and many people with blogs now consider themselves to be journalists or writers without studying that craft. It is somewhat similar to the way Serato has made DJing more accessible, but not necessarily the craft of DJing. I’m not here to judge anyone’s voice or blog per say, but if you want to be taken seriously as a writer and blogger then you need to have consistency with your posts, as well as a true love and knowledge of what you write about. The top blogs are the top blogs because they update everyday with either original content, or an original take on content that is widespread, they have respect and love for what they write about, and they make solid connections with the actors in their field. All that, plus a sleek design makes a blog viewable in my opinion. I would compare this blog explosion to the 2008 Cubs World Series victory...oh yeah, that’s right, didn’t even win a playoff game...haha...losers...

BFochs: The Cubbies ate a Fail Burrito from Taco L this year haha. The blogosphere is only going to get bigger, we'll just have to keep doing us so quality will remain in the e-streets. You put on HEAVY for the Windy City on RubyHornet. RubyHornet is in the upper echelon for websites that promote the Windy City music scene. How do you think the scene there looks overall? If you had to compare the Chicago music game to an insect, other than a hornet, what would you compare it to?

DJ RTC: Chicago has many scenes. We are a city of neighborhoods, each with a rich history. The scene I am most familiar with is the burgeoning Hip Hop scene, which over the years has grown more diverse, and welcoming. This is the most fun I’ve had with Chicago Hip Hop in a long time, and the shows are no longer a bunch of dudes with their arms crossed and grimaces on their face. I think a lot of the new feelings in Chicago, and people working together comes from our growing fashion scene which is tied heavily into the music, as well as the other arts. Not to be on my own jock, but I also think that sites like RubyHornet and Fakeshoredrive (gotta give a shout to my fellow IU Alum and Chicago blogger AB) played a role in uniting people and making each other more accessible. If I had to compare the site to an insect other than a hornet, I would choose those large bumble bees that everyone is afraid of, but are actually harmless.

BFochs: Epic comparison, sites such as yours and Mr. Barber's have been successfully puttin' folks up on the 'Go's scene, keep it movin' man! Chicago is not only home to a diverse and deep music scene, it is also home to some of the greatest food in the world. When I interviewed fellow Chicagoan Andrew Barber he put me up on some hot spots for eats, but I want to have a sick amount of spots I can mow down at. When I hit up the 'Go, what are 3 spots I have to munch at before I leave?

DJ RTC: Here's the 3 places I'd recommend:

**Manny’s
Manny’s is one of my all time favorite spots, and the best deli in the city. It’s right off Roosevelt Road and Jefferson. Get the Matzo Ball or Kreplach soup, the corned beef with pancake, and don’t eat anything before or after.

**Irazu
This is a very dope Costa Rican restaurant on Milwaukee Avenue south of Fullerton. I stick with the Veggie plate, but the shakes and sandwiches are their signatures.

**Kinzie Chophouse
Besides pizza, steak is another touchstone of Chicago eats. There’s many to choose from, but I go with the Kinize Chophouse.

BFochs: /Takes notes, thanks for giving me more places to get my mow on! I know you are quite knowledgeable about the Chicago music scene, I'm quite sure you are also knowledgeable about Chicago in general, I'm always game for learning more about the capital of the Midwest; so if you can, shoot off 5 fun facts about Chicago that me and the kind BBB readers might not know.

DJ RTC: Here's 5 fun facts about Chicago:

**John Cusack is from here for any High Fidelity fans.
**We are the only city that has built a baseball diamond inside of a bar. They call it Wrigleyfield.
**We made the first McDonalds, and fire proof hotel.and
**We coined the term “Jazz”.
**Playboy started here.

BFochs: G.I. Joe wasn't bullshittin', knowing is half the battle, thanks for making me meet my 'you learn something new everyday' requirements for today. You encounter many artists within the Windy City, out of all the people doin' their thing right now, who do you think is the most underrated or slept on? Do you think said artist will get their just due in 2009?

DJ RTC: That’s a tough question. I think that Phil G. is one of the most slept on Hip Hop artists. I also think that people confuse being slept on, with people just not really liking your music. But Phil G. is dope. I know that he has some big plans for the new year, but I’m not sure if he’ll really blow or not. I also think Mick Luter is really recognized by the Hip Hoppers as a big talent, but he hasn’t caught on really outside that circle, I think he has a good chance in the coming year. One person, who is not slept and I do expect to blow next year is Mic Terror. He’s able to weave between the old and new Hip Hop scenes, he’s got great lyrics, and girls like him...PS...watch for Mic Terror and RTC mixtape in ‘09.

BFochs: Don't sleep on Phil G. folks! Mic Terror is sick wit it, that Mic Terror/RTC tape is gonna be a problem. The Chicago scene is musical proof that the Midwest keeps that heat. Do you the Midwest will get it's time to takeover the game in let's say a few years? What are your 3 most favorite albums that came from Midwest artists?

DJ RTC: I don’t really like to think in terms of ‘take over the game’. And I think that Chicago as a whole has dropped those ambitions, and that’s what has led to our recent unity and success. We realized that we can look inward, create our own scene, and hopefully our own industry. When I went out to NYC I spent two full days going from record label offices, to boutique firms like Decon, to larger ones like The Orchard, and they have a real music industry where people can make a living as an artists, as a PR person, as a writer, etc. and Chicago doesn’t have that, yet, but we are getting there. Focusing on ourselves will get us there. My favorite albums from Midwest artists are...um...Typical Cats: Typical Cats, Lupe Fiasco: Lupe’s Food and Liquor, and I’ll probably get shit for this, but I’ll say Common’s "Be" just for the hell of it.

BFochs: I see what your saying, might as well get your own thing going, waiting on some 'takeover' is just a waste of time when good music can be made. The internets run rampant with slick talk and tomfoolery, which in general is caused by e-thugs and internet gangstas. What is Roosevelt Treasurechest's policy on e-thuggery and tomfoolery? Do you think these people should be held accountable for their actions or should it be taken lightly because it's online and 'it's all in fun'?

DJ RTC: I think in general, people should be held accountable for their actions on and off the web. I also realize that a lot of what is said in message boards is not real and should not be taken seriously. For all we know, one or two people can be responsible for a slew of comments under different aliases. I also remember reading a new year’s resolution from Mike D. about ten years ago in which he resolved to not talk shit about anyone. That stuck with me, and I try not to do that as well. When I posted comments, I post under my real name. If I need to make comment anonymously, or with a fake moniker, then it’s probably something I shouldn’t be saying anyway.

BFochs: That cliche phrase is true, if you don't got anything nice to say don't say anything at all, e-thugs, quit wastin' your time bein' negative! The digital era is fully upon us, it seems that the major labels are having a very tough time adapting, what steps have RubyHornet taken to utilize the digital music era to the best of it's ability? Do you think the majors and other industry outlets that are having a tough time making the switch will get it together any time soon or will they continue to look at blogs like 'the devil'?

DJ RTC: The time of looking at blogs as the devil has passed, and those hanging on to that view will not survive. Labels are changing the way they send out music, as well as their approach to street team biz, artist promotion and introduction, all of that. Again, when I was at SoundSlam I interviewed all the top artists, and had CD’s in my mailbox everyday. At the time, about 90% of the interviews were set up through a label. Now, with RubyHornet, it’s completely the opposite. I rarely interact with labels directly, and many of the interviews, features, music postings etc, come directly from artists or their camp. I love it, and it’s bringing the community back into music. At RubyHornet we keep up relationships, follow through with what we say, and do our best to thank everyone that plays a role in our site. That’s always been my formula and it’s gotten me this far. Also, as I said earlier, we really aim to write about what’s going on from the inside, so we make sure that we go to the clubs when the top DJ’s are spinning, we support the local artists that support us. Because of my talents as a DJ, and Benny Rocs’ talents a photographer, we are able to host events as well with music, phtoography, and web promotion all in one. And I am also able to produce a mixtape, as well as disseminate it with ease. Lastly, we’ve built a RubyHornet Network, which you will see in 2009. The network includes our site as the hub, and connects with sites of premier artists in the city. We pool our web resources, and it’s going to be something fierce.

BFochs: Real talk about people being involved with the music directly, it makes shit more meaningful when you are directly working with an artist. That RubyHornet Network sounds fierce, watch out for that in the '09 people! You not only got the RubyHornet poppin' off, but you are indeed a DJ. When did you decide tackle that element of Hip Hop?

DJ RTC: Thanks for pointing that out. I’m really known for writing and some people think that the “DJ” is just something I slapped onto the front of my name. But DJing is a craft that I take very seriously, and this year it’s a goal of mine to bring that to the forefront. Because of my upbringing in Hyde Park, I was exposed to Hip Hop music and culture, and naturally drawn to what is easily characterized as underground Hip Hop. Scratching and such immediately caught my attention, and as a kid I would fool around with my stereo and make pause tapes just for the fun of it...Fast forward to my college years at IU. I was doing a lot of Hip Hop stuff there as part of The Hip Hop Congress and knew a lot of DJ’s. I was broke back then, and had no car, nothing. My parents saved up enough money to buy me a car going into my senior year of college. Right before they were going to make the purchase I saw the Scratch movie, and asked if they could pick up turntables for me instead. They agreed, I walked everywhere, and it was the best decision of my life.

BFochs: Music>driving, for real, music is the soundtrack to life, you don't gotta listen to that soundtrack in a car haha. What kind of projects do you have coming up as far as DJing is concerned? What types of things can we expect to see on RubyHornet in 2009?

DJ RTC: My last mixtape with G.O.O.D. Music’s GLC came out in December and that’s been getting really strong reviews. It’s called GLC X RTC: Similar To The Letters. You can hear that and download it at RubyHornet, as well as see pics from our release party at NV (plug, plug). My next mixtape is all finished up, and will be dropping in January. It is called Guns and Doe, and was done with a Chicago producer named SC as well as Just Blaze (if you don’t know Just Blaze, pause and do some research). SC is a guy who has produced for The Game, Mobb Deep, Mary J. Blige, Diddy, Mikkey Halsted, Lupe, etc...many people have taken his beats and not given him the proper credit. People in the Chi know what’s up, but this mixtape is aimed at setting the record straight and letting people get to know him. After this, we are coming back with Vol. 2 full of all new music.

I’m also pretty much done with my part of The Chicago Picasso, which is Naledge’s solo mixtape that is being released on iTunes. That is really going to showcase Naledge and his diversity in style and substance. The mixtape features collaborations with Rhymefest, Mick Luter, Fooch, Jay Electronica and more. I am also excited cause I’m sharing DJ duties with Mick Boogie and Timbuck2, definitely two guys that I have watched and learned from, so I’m very thankful that Naledge considers me to be on that path. After that I am working on a project with Chip Tha Ripper out of Cleveland. We are still working out the details, but look for that as well. I also have plans to do a mixtape with Mic Terror in the Spring. He is about to release his new one in January, and after that me and him are cooking something up.

Aside from those mixtapes, I have a great situation building, and hope to release my own DJ Khaled’esqe project in 2009. My motto is always, ‘don’t talk about, be about it.’ So mum is the word right now...Also, if any artists want get me to mix and host their mixtape, please get at me through RubyHornet.com. As far as what you can see on RH. We are retooling a little bit, and coming back in ‘09 with new Freestyles In The Park, new columns, and (thank God) new writers! You can expect us to be bigger...better...and deffer...to quote Todd Smith, ladies love...

BFochs: My goodness, you are not messin' around sir, I'm amped for that SC tape, dude comes hard with the production. Those other projects have me intrigued as well. Now that the normal stuff is out the way, I can ask a few abnormal questions. First question. If you could make a RubyHornet video game for the site store what would the game be about? If given an infinite budget for stocking the store with items, what would you stock it with? Name the top 3 things we'd see in the RubyHornet online store.

DJ RTC: That’s a good question. I really like run and jump kind of games, so it would probably be on that tip. One of my friends who works in NY at a marketing/digital record label jokes with me all the time cause we talk about making ourselves into Wu-Tang superheroes and releasing our own video game about us. So, maybe that would be a reality. I have to navigate the hard music industry while acquiring interviews, props, and content. Currently we have t-shirts for sale at RH, and look for that to grow. I haven’t really thought about the online store, I’m the creative guy...

BFochs: That's a hot concept for a game, it should be a requirement to beat the game for newcomers to get into real game haha. Onto the next one. The second question, if you could compare the internet to any project you've been apart of which one would it be and why?

DJ RTC: That’s a tough question...I would say my senior thesis in college cause I never thought it would end...just as the internet is endless.

BFochs: Damn, that was a good comparison, the internet is indeed nonstopping. Last question, what things are the most important in your 'treasurechest' of personal possessions? If you had to trade any of those things away to save Ruby Hornet would you do it?

DJ RTC: The three things I'd have to say are:

*My turntables
*My Baseball Cards
*My Dog Einstein

If I had to trade any of those things away to do RubyHornet, I have much bigger problems...

BFochs: That's true, if you gotta pawn off that type of ish the site is just a small fish in the ocean of problems. That's all I got man, big ups on the interview once again, you got any shout outs, last words or comments before we wrap this thing up?

DJ RTC: Thank you very much for the opportunity, as well as for contributing a positive and informed blog to the blogosphere. I also want to thank all your readers for checking this out, and my steady stable of 20 or so friends who actually click on the links to stuff I do...I also have to thank my team at RH, who took a chance on me.

BFochs: I'm tryin' bro, you already know the e-streets are wild so to get compliments like that are dope, thank you. Thanks once again for choppin' it up man, I wish you and Ruby Hornet and anyone you mess with the best of luck in anything ya'll do in the future, take it easy!



1 comment:

  1. Good interview...And shout out to BBB for showing RH and my partner in crime RTC, love...

    -
    Benny Rocs

    ReplyDelete