Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Windy City Spitter YP Chops It Up With BFochs!


BFochs: YP, what's the good word sir, big ups on takin' time out of the grind for the interview, what's the good word amigo?

YP: Just working and tryin to make my name a household one...

BFochs: I can dig it, why don't you introduce yourself to these kind folks, tell em your name, where you're from, the movement you're reppin', and your favorite producer from the Midwest.

YP: For those that don't know I'm YP. I'm from Chicago. I was born and raised on the East Side of the city. Right in the heart of what some may see that's depicted on television. Right now we are about to get my project out to the masses. It's called "CLASSIFIED". I been working on that it seems like forever. Hahaha.

BFochs: Chicago is in the e-building, I fux with the Windy City, you spoke of your project that's coming out soon, "Classified," what are your main intentions with this project? Being that you are newer to the game, what kind of impression are you trying to leave with "Classified"?

YP: Well, I just want people to understand that I won't be just another rapper so to say ya feel me. Like I feel as though Hip Hop is another genre of music and in every genre we refer to the people in it as artists. Artists paint vivid pictures. I want to be known as a person who can take his talent and make it relatable to the next person. Anyone can just put words together and make them rhyme. I don't wanna fall into that shit. That ain't me. And I don't think it ever will be as long as I understand that I am an artist. I want people to walk away from this and know that I put all my time and effort into it. I feel like some artists today don't try and make that connection with the fans. That's what's missing. Like after you hear something nowadays, you don't go back to your circle of friends like "did you hear what so and so said on this?"...that type of stuff don't really happen anymore and I wanna bring that element around...excitement.

BFochs: Bringin' life back to music is clutch, I think you're doing a good job at sir. You're from the land of Lincoln, aka Illinois, aka the Midwest, lol. Everyone gets the 'what's the deal with the Midwest not being on" question, my amigo, you will be no different. What's the damn deal with us not being on?! lol

YP: That's actually a question that has a lot of answers to it that no one really knows. See, I never quite understood why either though. I feel like the Midwest is like a melting pot. We are influenced by so much shit that we just became our own lane. If you look at the artists out here, no one really sounds the same. You just have a bundle of talent waiting to be tapped into. I know that the whole perception of Chicago is that we were the land that never embraced our own. I can see where that came from, but as of right now I don't see that happening.

Everyone seems to be embracing each other and trying to do things with each other. That type of activity is what attracts people here ya know. We need the unity in order to move forward. It's like what the grandma said in "Soul Food"...if we make a fist that's a mighty blow...ya know...so I think if we all have a mentality similar to that one then we can't be denied.

BFochs: I agree, if mofos got on some Voltron ish, things would progress faster with the movement, I think a lot has to do with ego, your company is actually called Stay Humble, when did you adapt this philosophy, and what are 5 reasons people should stay humble?

YP: Right! Things would go a lot faster, but I feel like we are headed in the right direction. And it does have to do wit the egos. When you surround yourself with nothin' but "yes men" then you are growin' your own ego. Then when you get out there with music that has horrible quality, then you set yourself up for failure and then you take a quick shot to your ego. In Chicago, we don't take shots too well, LOL...so when you should've been told a long time ago to stop, instead you end up being told when your ego is the size of the Ozone layer...so naturally you are goin' react and that's one of the problems we have had here but that's changing too.

Yeah, it's really crazy that Stay Humble is the name, but I think that's the most important thing in the industry. You have to stay humble. The game is meant to build you up and tear you down. If you are humble then you can take those pitfalls and keep it movin'. You already know what it's like to not be on that platform so when you are knocked down from it, it shouldn't hurt as much.
and 5 reasons why they should stay humble:

1. There is always someone out here that's better than you.

2. There is a difference between being cocky and confident and being cocky doesn't get you anywhere.

3. You don't wanna be known as that "asshole" all your life.

4. You never want to "shit" on anyone because you may need them just as much as they need you.

5. You don't wanna be so far out of tune with yourself that you miss your opportunity to soar farther than you or anyone around you could ever imagine.

BFochs: Those are 5 hella legit reasons why you should be humble folks, please pay attention. God don't like ugly, and this wisdom just doesn't come regularly lol, real talk is gettin' rarer by the day.

You mentioned that people have a lot of 'yes men,' surrounding themselves with fakery in an already fake industry, the game is bad, especially now, what motivation do you have to endeavor in such a dirty game? What are the 3 main reasons you do this?

YP: Yea man God don't like ugly! My mom says it all the time to me...lol...I got way more than 3 reasons why I do it, but if I had to sum it up let's see…

1. I love music although I never thought I would be making it...lol.

2. For my family fam..we all can be in better positions in life.

3. For people who I feel are deprived of music they can tap into and feel rather than something that's made for the moment.

Don't get me wrong if that's what some people are doing then fine, but according to my standards I don't wanna be that. I want to be one of those artists that 10 or 15 years down the line people go to the BBQ and sit outside on their lawn chairs and listen and reminisce.

BFochs: I feel that, you're going for 'major replay value status,' viable reasons indeed for venturing in the hip hop game, the market is hella oversaturated right now, what do you think are the keys to beating your competition?

YP: The main key to beating my competition is not conforming. Whatever they are doing if it isn't already something that I have implemented, then I won't bother doing it. I have never been one to just follow the trend for no reason ya feel me. Like I want a check with this shit like the next man, but like I said earlier the #1 reason is I love the music. I won't degrade my talents just for the sake of a check. Hell I could go work at WacArnolds and get a paycheck ya feel me...it's more than that....I have to make a mark by doin' me...staying in my lane and not drifting off.

BFochs:: I hear that, you don't wanna be on some copy cat fuck shit for the sake of riches, very meritable. It appears more lanes are being created nowadays, making some believe 'hip hop is dying' or it's mutating into some kind of other genre, what is your take on the genre today? is it dying or just changing or both?

YP: Personally I don't think it's dying. I feel like it is evolving and people who were major pieces in it before feel as though the foundation they laid isn't being touched on as much as it should ya know..it's like they don't feel honored...what they came into knowing as the rap game isn't quite the same...lyrics aren't really a focal point anymore and it's more about the beats and your melody....which is cool to me...I'm a firm believer in "what you eat don't make me shit" so like I said I'm not gonna conform and make something for the sake of a check.

I'm young, but I feel like I'm a cross between the generations. I can relate to the younger niggas and understand and like what they are doing just as genuine as I could wit the other generation. So I have an understanding for both sides. So knowing that, I kno that it's not dying. There is just a lot of different opinions on rap out there. I feel like the people who don't take their time to perfect the craft or those that don't care, shouldn't be allowed to do this shit PERIOD!!!

BFochs: Laziness and cuttin' corners is not what's poppin', step your level of effort artists! Let's talk about what you got poppin' off music-wise right now, we talked briefly about "Classified," you actually have a tape called "Authorized," coming out soon, what's the motive behind that, what can we expect to see on "Authorized?"

YP: :Authorized" is actually something that just sort of popped up. LOL...like for real I didn't know I was even doing a mixtape. I just have been staying in the lab doin' more and more songs. I usually do a lot of original beats and lately I have been doing both, I guess to practice more...ya know...work on my craft like I'm tellin other niggas to do...lol, but yeah it's coming out next week
and it's hosted by DJ Jay Illa of Chicago, that's my dude we eat Super Donuts and shit...LMAO

BFochs: LOLOL, I smell what your steppin' in with the donuts and such lol, good to see you are giving the fans some material before "Classified," Time to get your promo plug in for "Classified" lol, give us 5 reasons why we need to peep "Classified."

YP: OK, well first you gotta understand the meaning behind the name "CLASSIFIED"
When you open the newspaper and turn to the Classified section what can you get?
A dog, car, crib, bitch...lmao...

BFochs: anything!

YP: basically you can get anything.

BFochs: Word.com

YP: so that's what you get when you grab my project any and everything, here are the 5 reasons...

1. It has instances where I speak on situations and make them appealing to the average listener.

2. Street Shit...lol.

3. Once you hear the album in it's whole form you will say what it truly is AN ALBUM.

4. I put my all into it.

5. I need you to fully understand the effort and time I took to create this for the listener.

BFochs: If those aren't 5 good reasons why you need to fux with "Classified," then I don't know what to tell ya folks, fuck wit it! A few more questions and then we can wrap this up bro, firstly...

You are a repper of Chicago, it's mandatory all BFochs.com interviewees from Chicago put me up on 3 spots I must eat at when I'm in the Windy City...go! Lol.

YP: OH this is the easiest question...

1. Harolds, I would tell you any Harolds, but naw it aint right, if when you get here you can't find me which I don't ever see happening...lol...then go to the one on 87th and the Dan Ryan. They're shit be soooo good. 4 wings fried hard wit mild sauce, salt and pepper, say it just like that and get a Grape Strawberry Mystic then for 2...tie between McArthur's or Morrisons this depends on which side of town you are on...if you are on the Westside and you just finished shoppin' on Madison and Pulaski, then head down a couple blocks to McArthur's...they got everything smothered porkchops, greens, chicken, yams every damn thing...lol.

Morrisons is on the Southside...they got everything that McArthur's got...except it's out south...lol...after you eat a plate from either one of those spots you are ready to fall asleep...lol
and finally...

3. Italian Fiesta, they always talk about how good pizza is in Chicago and you usually hear the same 2 or 3 spots, but fuck that. Italian Fiesta is the best pizza to me. It's on the Eastside of Chicago. What pizza you know takes 3 hours to deliver 4 blocks away....LOL...and it be greasy like a fresh can of Crisco..LOL...it's the shit though...they only got like 3 spots but i don't care...LOL...

BFochs: Damn dude, the last one especially sounds like the troof.net, /takes notes, one more question and it's a done deal.

You are known as the 'Lottery Pick' If you could be 'drafted' by any label which one would it be? Also, if you won the lottery, what 5 things would you buy that would help benefit your music career?

YP: I am gonna go wit the politically correct answer wit this one...any team that is willing to draft me and understand what they are getting and willing to put it out there, then I'm willing to play. I only want to go somewhere where I feel as though they have the same vision I have and if they don't they have to have an open ear to wanna understand what I want. If I won the lottery then I would get:

1. A state of the art home studio.

2. Production equipment.

3. Like 15 laptops cause me and my team are always fighting over each other's laptops...LOL

4. I would buy my own radio frequency.

5. I can't say on the internet wit the emergence of Crickett...

BFochs: LOL! I can dig it with a shovel Barney Rubble, that's all I got for ya bro, any last words, comments or shout outs before we wrap this thing up?

YP: Definitely!! Shout out to the city of Chicago as a whole and every movement that's trying to get themselves out here. It's a struggle for us all. All the blogs that have shown me any kind of love I APPRECIATE THAT!!! Andrew Barber of FSD has been instrumental in helping me get to this point so a big shout out to him as well. Every artist that's doin their thing in the city too. And I also wanna take this time to say Hold ya head Bump!!!

He is huge in this city and right now due to unfortunate circumstances he is incarcerated. I hope that God is able to see him through this situation and he is able to make it home safely.

BFochs, my dude, thanks for letting me take some time out your busy schedule...

BFochs: My pleasure amigo, you don't get to interview a future Midwest legend every day ya dig. Make sure to fuck wit "Authorized" and "Classified" folks, big ups once again for the interview mane, I wish you and yours continued success, take it easy!


No comments:

Post a Comment