Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Interview With David Banner Via AHH




David Banner Interview Via Allhiphop.com


David Banner knows about struggle. Since his last album, 2005’s Certified, the rapper/activist had to deal with the traumatic effects of Hurricane Katrina on his native Mississippi, attacks on Hip-Hop from the federal government, and his father’s death from cancer in 2007. Despite these hardships and thoughts of retirement, Banner has persevered. He was one of the few artists to testify before Congress last year defending Hip-Hop lyrics, and did so again recently on BET’s Hip-Hop vs. America.

Now with a new album, The Greatest Story Ever Told, scheduled for release on July 15, David Banner explains the apathy and hypocrisy of our culture, and why his will remains unbroken.

AllHipHop.com: How have you approached this record differently, if you have, from your last albums?

David Banner: It’s strange because initially my approach was just (making) hit records. Being that I produce myself I was trying to put as many back to back hits as I could. I know that nobody that’s on the level that I am is as close to the streets as I was when stuff got bad for me. So I was able to come back to the street and listen to what kids wanted and give it back to them.

Katrina had hit and the support still wasn’t there for music with political content. I thought this was what the world wanted from us? But then I realized they were a bunch of hypocrites so I just said f**k it I’m gonna focus on just hit records.

But then here comes George Bush and all of his antics and then this high ass gas. People on the streets I know never cared about politics start coming up to me saying ‘yo Banner we now understand what you talking about. We know you gonna bring it on this album. We can’t wait!’ And I ain’t have no politics on the album (laughs). It was straight stuntin’.

CLICK HERE TO READ THE REST OF THE INTERVIEW

David Banner is one of the realest cats in this shit, he gives a lot to his community and he is a fool with it on the production side of the game. He keeps it 100 all the time, if more peeps in the industry did it how Banner does it, people wouldn't be saying "hip hop is dead." Here are some of my favorite David Banner songs/featured songs.


No comments:

Post a Comment