Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Friday, November 7, 2008

Bottom Feeder Chops It Up With BFochs!


BFochs: What's goin' down Bottom Feeder? Thanks for taking the time to do this interview man, I know the grind never ends, what's good though man, what's goin' down?

Bottom Feeder: Great Day in America, for someone with the same background as me (white mother, black father) to be elected president is truly a great day for me. The grind is always going. I started my company a year and half ago and I have jumped up to be some of the top DJs in the world favorite source of music, whether I blast out the track or not, I usually have it on my computer and they will hit me up asking for it with NO DJ or No Drops and I get it to them [Editors Note: This interview was conducted the day after Barack Obama's victory, Congratulations Barack!]

BFochs: That's what it is man, the grind is sickly fierce, and it is indeed a great day for America period, the fuckery is close to be over with the Bush regime. Why don't you give the kind BBB readers an introduction. Tell em your name, where your from and what you do in this crazy business.

Bottom Feeder: Well, I'm originally from Rhode Island (smallest state in the Union), I relocated to Tampa 8 months ago to try to find greener pastures. I've been involved in the music scene for about 14 years now in some capacity. In Rhode Island I use to roll hard with one of New England's Top DJs, Big Stress, since I was 15 and would be in the studio, clubs and concerts with him all the time. Back then, Rhode Island only basically had a top 40 station and college radio was where the top DJs were. Big Stress was at WRIU, DJ Buck was at WBRU. We use to get calls from as far as Long Island, NY listening to the show at WRIU.

After a while the major stations noticed that it was time to get a Hip Hop station in R.I. and Buck was hired as a mix DJ at then Kicks 106 in Providence. Once Buck got his foot in the door Stress was hired on. Both have definitely moved up the ladder in the game. Buck is now the Pogram Director at Hartford's Hot 93.7 and Stress is now the Music Director at Hot 106.3 in Providence. I started my company when I got laid off from a great computer gig with Bank Of America, I needed something to take up time and I was always getting exclusives so I started sending them out to the world. I started with a list of 300 DJs and now I'm over 20,000 and doin' work with some of the top labels in the game to get their music out to the world

BFochs: Damn, you've come up with one of the dopest DJs period, not just in Rhode Island, that's what it is. It's good to see your unfortunate turn of events lead to this gig, you are definitely making it happen. I seen your name on Mr. X's spot many times and I was wondering who you were, and how you got that nickname. How did the name Bottom Feeder come about?

Bottom Feeder: Honestly, I use to go as Hater Of Providence...lol... and I wanted to make it not such a regional name. So after brainstorming with one of my best friends, DJ Tone Capone out of Orlando , he came up with it. I gotta give him the credit. Since I was feeding the DJs with music he came up with Bottom Feeder.

BFochs: I can dig it, you indeed feed the masses with a large amount of hits, so the name is quite fitting. You mentioned you were a resident of Rhode Island, but then moved to Tampa. First off let's talk about the music scene in Rhode Island, I know nothing about it and would like to gain some knowledge lol. Who are some peeps the world has to watch out for in Rhode Island? When you moved to Tampa from Rhode Island what was the hardest thing adapting to down there? Who are some Tampa artists people need to keep an eye out for?

Bottom Feeder: Rhode Island was great and definitely a good place to learn how to netwrok. With being such a small state its easy to learn how to meet with certain clubs to get an event and reach out to different artists in the state to get things going. Some of the artists to watch for in Rhode Island are Jon Hope , Chachi, Starrs & Murph. All of them have been on their grind real heavy in different ways. Hope has opened for some of the top acts in the country, while doing shows all over the north east. He's done numerous tracks with Termanology and is willing to work with anyone. Chachi won twice on 106 & Park and became a 106 & Park All-Star for getting the most online votes both times after going up against 2 different groups each time. Starrs & Murph are a unique Duo who have done tracks with Statik Selektah and MIMS to name a few. All those artists have been doing it for a while and will definitely have labels looking to sign them soon.

I moved to Tampa 8 months ago to look for new job opportunities and make new connections. The Tampa Bay area alone has more people in it than all of Rhode Island. So I had to make all new connects. I started off with connecting with Black Group Marketing and they are also part of Terror Squad's DJ Christion's team. So soon I had a connect with him. Tampa of course has had their success in music with Khia...lol (my neck my back), but also with 2 Pistols who is from the Tampa Bay area. Artists to keep your eyes open for out here are my artist Hunt, Tom G, and Trinity. Hunt and I have been working together for just under a year and things have been going great.

He has come along way since we started working together. I'm not saying he got better because of me, but he has learn how to ride the beat and spit crazy shit on every track he takes over. Tom G is a beast in the waiting. He has numerous Tampa hits and gets crazy radio support out here. He's definitely an artist that labels are watching. Trinity is a dope multi-talented female artist. She produces, spits, sings. She has been working with some of the top artists in the game and you will soon see her beats placed with major artists in the industry. I would say she is mixture of a Missy with a little Pharrell, and a lot of herself. She will eventually have a radio hit with a major artist singing or spitting on it.

BFochs: I'm most definitely going to have to investigate further into the artists you named from Rhode Island, I know you wouldn't co-sign wack music so I'm sure I will enjoy what they bring to the table. As far as the Tampa scene, I'm familiar with 2 Pistols and Hunt, not so much Trinity and Tom G, you might have to slide me a few of their tracks haha. You mentioned working with Hunt, from what I've heard from that dude he's got potential to blow. How did you guys intially link up?

Bottom Feeder: Actually it was Mr Boogie (Streetsweepers DJ/ Scope's manager) in Springfield, Mass. who linked us up. He Knew Hunt through shopping his tracks to get on mixtapes. Hunt told him he wanted to get his music out there more and where should he go. Boogie introduced him to me and Hunt was buying blasting packages from me to get his music out there. After a while I was hearing his music was getting really tight and I said no more paying me we are going to make this happen together. We dropped a dope CD with DJ Smallz in June, and we got mixtapes lined up with The Affiliates' DJ Young Mase (Obie Trice's DJ) , DJ Treunda (One of Neyo's DJs), and the Mixtape King Big Mike. So the grind is going well. We are working hard and hope to get signed soon.

BFochs: Hunt is dope man, with your continued teamwork I can see him doing quite well, the business is fickle, but certain individuals rise above the fuckery and get it happenin'. I can see that both of you guys are in that league of 'individuals.' You got the Bottom Feeder thing poppin' hardbody, when you are looking to work with people how does it go down? Do you screen music or are you willing to help anyone? How many blasts have you done to this date? What kind of other things do you offer to your clients?

Bottom Feeder: I'm an avenue for people to get their music out. It kind of sucks to say, but if they got the cash I blast their record. I can't discriminate on who got money. No clue on how many blasts I've dont to date. I've used so many different networks of blasting some great and some sucked. For the longest time I was rolling with ThatsHipHop.com and they were supplying me with free blasting service. It was great. I work with many companies from music to clothing, to Sneakers. Some of my biggest sponsors are Stall and Dean ( www.stallanddean.com ) , Kashi Kicks (www.kashikicks.com ) they send me loads of clothes and sneakers. I offer basically a marketing service that anyone can use if they are promoting music, product, event, or website. If it can fit in an email I can help you promote it.

BFochs: That's what it is. You have some notable endorsements, big ups on that. Out of all the blasts you've done, which has gotten you the greatest feedback or advancement in your business?

Bottom Feeder: Oh man, I might be putting an X on my back by naming some of the tracks that I've leaked. 50's "Ayo Technology" was a big record for me when people started recognizing the exclusive side of me getting crazy tracks, but I would have to say when I teamed up with Shadyville DJs and becoming one of the main e-mail promoters for So So Def people really saw that I wasn't just some kid in his bedroom sending out tracks. I've been working with So So Def for about 10 months now and things are going great. They really opened the door for me with other labels and that's when other labels started spending money with me.

BFochs: I feel ya man you don't wanna snitch yourself out, my bad for puttin' you out there like that lol. If you could work with any company/label/etc that you haven't worked with yet who would it be and why? Do you plan on branching your company out into other things related to music?

Bottom Feeder: I've worked with basicly every label. So So Def, Atlantic, Interscope, G Unit, Shady, J Records, Koch, so there are a couple I haven't worked with but not any I can say I'm Dieing with work with. Eventually i would love to make this company a fulltime company. Where this is my main income coming in and I can have numerous workers working for me. And shit if i'm making over 250,000 a year then ill be happy to pay those extra taxes to my country....lol

BFochs: I feel you man, you've came, seen, and conqured haha. You just dropped a little game via Mr. Obama's policy with taxing and what not. Let's speak on the greatest moment in our countrie's presidential history, Barack Obama becoming our president. In a few short sentences explain to me how you feel about this phenomenal event.

Bottom Feeder: I feel extremely proud to see parts of America getting over its race issues. Red states turning blue and getting over 51% or over 100,000,000 votes country wide. In a time lik this I made sure I thought of our great Black leaders who came before him and blazed the trail for this to happen. Martin, Malcom, Senator John Lewis, Dr. Bernard Lafaytte, even Jeese Jackson. Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King had a dream and now Barack Obama is living that dream and more.

BFochs: I most definitely agree, it's good to see us making progressive, I hope it continues on for generations and generations to come. Martin Luther King Jr. is smiling in heaven right now. Back to the music, what kind of stuff do you got coming up with your Bottom Feeder business? What can we expect to see from you and Hunt in the near future?

Bottom Feeder: We are working on the demo to shop to the labels and numerous mixtapes with DJ's such as The Affiliate's Dj Young Mase, Terror Squad's Dj Christion, our DJ , Dj Treunda, and the Mixtape King Big Mike. Hunt is working hard and we are hoping we get signed in '09.

BFochs: Word life, I can see it happening for sure, hopefully these execs see the same shit we are seeing lol. Big ups for the interview man, you got any shout outs, last words or comments before we wrap this thing up?

Bottom Feeder: Big Ups to people in the industry who has definitely helped me along the way and continue to help, Dro at Shady Records, Big Splash, Dj Envy, Dj L, shit the list could go on and on, but these are basically the first 4 that reached out to me when I started and we have definitely helped each other a lot in the past year and change.

Thank you for the interview and the support and if any of your readers need help promoting a track or a product tell them to hit me up on my email BFBLASTS@gmail.com and we can definitely work out a deal for the world to see or hear their product.

BFochs: You see the contact info artists! Hit up Bottom Feeder ASAP! That's what it is man, you know I'm keeping the gmail open to see what kind of goodies Bottom Feeder has for me lol. Thanks once again man, I wish you, Hunt and anyone you work with the best in anything ya'll do in the future, take it easy!

Bottom Feeder: Thanks, peace.



IF YOU NEED YOUR TRACK OR PRODUCT OUT THERE IN THE E-STREETS AND IN THE HANDS OF MANY IMPORTANT PEOPLE IN THE INDUSTRY HIT UP BOTTOM FEEDER AT BFBLASTS@gmail.com NOW!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Good one fochs. Hope those foschers treated you well last night

    ReplyDelete