Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Friday, November 28, 2008

Reyes Of I'm Wil Chops It Up With BFochs!


Image and video hosting by TinyPic


BFochs: Mr. Reyes, what is going on my man? Thank you for taking time out of your hectic schedule to chop it up with the Fochsman. What's poppin' though, what you up to right now?

Reyes: Chillin, constantly looking for ways to distract myself from school work. The usual.

BFochs: Indeed indeed, as long as the work gets done, all is well, just don't distract yourself too long haha. Why don't you give the kind BBB viewers an introduction. Tell them your name, the name of your site, where your from and your favorite album and why it's your favorite album.

Reyes: Aright. I go by Wil online and in real life. I run a blog at http://imwil.tumblr.com. I reside on the north side, Mississauga/Toronto, Canada. Favourite (yes with a U, ha) album um...I guess I'd say College Dropout. I was too young for the Illmatic generation and that CD was one of the first CD's I actually bought. Kanye is that dude and he still is.

BFochs: Kanye is most definitely dat dude. You got the site rockin' hardbody, and one thing that jumps out at me is that you're one of the few bloggers from Canada holdin' it down on the e-streets. Why did you decide to get in involved in these e-shananigans? What were your 3 main motives for starting your site?

Reyes: Well first of, I love music. Not just the hip-hop genre specifically, but entire the music family as a whole. Two, I was always that guy with like...the newest shit on his iPod at school and I was the "DJ" who basically hooked up my iPod to the system at parties, lol, so I opened up a blog so that people I know in real life and other online visitors can see what's new and what I'm listening to. And three...to show some support for the artists on my backyard. I don't post A LOT of Canadian stuff simply because I don't particularly like majority of the stuff that comes out. However, I do post the ones that I feel should be heard by the masses.

BFochs: Very solid reasons for hoppin' in the blog world. You and SirmacTV have put me up on many Canadian artists, namely people from Toronto. The Toronto music scene is moving up the ranks very quickly. Has the scene there always been this good and just slept on, or did it take time for it to get this good?

Reyes: Oh man, I don't mean to sound biased, but it's always been pretty good. It's just not until now when Drake got that Interscope deal and Kardinal got that Konvict deal that outsiders - non Canadian, and even a lot of Canadians believe it or not - that Toronto emcee's are seeing more exposure. I mean, Kardi was pretty big here way before that Konvict signing. Then there was Solitair, BrassMunk, Choclair, Rascalz, etc...that Northern Touch.

BFochs: Most definitely, Kardi has been around a minute, it's good to see that the light is shining on Toronto now, better late than never I guess. Who are some other artists besides Drake & Kardinal Offishall that the e-streets and the world has to watch out for? Who do you think will be the next to blow?

Reyes: Ha. Mainstream would probably be JD Era or Famous, but watch out for these names as well: D-Sisive, Luu Breeze, Erik Flowchild, Theology3, Tona and JR Mint.

BFochs: Luu Breeze especially, that dude is fuckin' nasty. DO NOT SLEEP PEOPLE!!! What do you think the three main factors are for the lack of the industries interest in the Canadian music scene? You'd think they would have capitalized on the Clean Nawf scene years ago, what gives?

Reyes: Honestly...I don't know. Not trying to be biased, but some of the names I just mentioned are better than quite a number of people who have a major record deal right now. I don't wanna throw names out there, but sometimes it makes you wonder why ___ has a record deal, you know? I guess no one hypes our music scene that much, lol. That's like the major key to success nowadays in my opinion - hype.

BFochs: Indeed, if you market and push something, regardless of it actually being good, people almost are forced to buy into at a certain extent. Do you think your site has positively affected your area's music scene to the point where you can safely say "I put on for Canada"? What type of things do you do on your site to break the typical Canadian stereotypes?

Reyes: Nah. I never pushed my site at all, lol. The ~200 hits I get per day are probably just the same ~200 people. I never exactly spammed or "advertised." I relied on link backs, so shouts to those who post and credit. I don't even post too much Canadian content, lol. Slowly I've switched my blog from being specifically music to a more personal blog. Too much music blogs in the making, I'm just trying to stay away from the pack. I post what I actually listen to rather than what's "new." I can't say I put on for Canada yet, but I know for a fact I've introduced some names to other people, and they liked what they heard. Maybe when I get more free time I'll try to push the Canadian music scene a bit more, but for now, I have to admit that sadly I'm only putting on bare minimum.

BFochs: Individuality is crucial in the blog game. Conformity is the devil! Lol. It's not the amount of people that you put on to Canadian music my friend, it's the fact that you're putting people on, ya dig. The blog thing is only one aspect of the Life of Wil Reyes. What else do you do beside this blog thing? Do you plan on ever getting into the music industry full-time or are you just going to keep it as a hobby?

Reyes: Haha, nice. Right now I'm a full-time student and a part-time minimum wage worker. I still try to prioritize my life so school goes first, then my social life, then blogging. Right now, I don't know what I wanna do after my program, sadly. I'm in accounting and know I don't wanna do that for the rest of my life. So I have a vague plan of me either being a journalist, a graphic/web designer, and/or an event photographer. Relating to the music industry preferably. For now, blogging has to remain a hobby.

BFochs: Hobbies can change into careers, I know from experience (those in the know understand what I'm talking about) lol. Perhaps you can be an accountant for some artists from Toronto? Speaking of Toronto, I myself have never been there, I've heard numerous things. I've heard it's gutta, I've heard it's dope, and I've heard the weed there is FIRE. Can you shine some light on any of those things? When I end up hittin' up T-Dot what are a few places I should hit up or go see while I'm there? If you had to sum up Toronto in just two words how would you go about doing that?

Reyes: Haha. It's really a dope place. Being in college 2 hours away from "my area", I haven't had the chance to spend too much time downtown in quite a while, but I'm sure everything's remained the same. In my opinion, it's basically New York Jr. except it's smaller and less crowded, but smells better, lol. The bars and clubs are great. It's a friendly city despite the fact that it's labeled the Screwface Capital, haha. I personally quit weed a while ago, but you heard right. Our weed here is pure quality. If you visit...there's the normal tourist spots like the CN Tower and Centreville, lol. Nah, there's ENOUGH places you have to see here. If you or anybody visits, make it at least a week. You will not have one lonely night, guaranteed. In two words... awesome and love.

BFochs: T-Dot watch out! BFochs is coming...sooner or later lol. I know this topic I'm about to touch doesn't directly pertain to you because you're from Canada, but I know you got something to say about this wacky wildness. Barack Obama won the election, our president is black...for the first time EVER! What is your thoughts on this historic occurrence? I know you're feeling the economic wackness in some shape or form, what is your take on that tomfoolery?

Reyes: Ha. I was actually a Barack supporter even though I couldn't vote myself. It doesn't affect me or Canada in general directly, but indirectly, the rest of the world is affected. US = the world. Not so sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it's kind of the truth. The predicted recession...oh man. I actually crossed the border this weekend to go do some shopping, lol. Some pretty cheap stuff right now, ha. But anyway...I don't mean to be a non-believer, but I'm hoping that Obama wasn't pure hype. I know he nor anybody can clean up the economical state of the US in 4 years, but I hope he actually starts something positive compared to the past 8 years or so, for the sake of everybody.

BFochs: You're absolutely right, they can't look at him as just a savior for the country, it's obvious he's iller than Bush, but he's still the president and he's gotta make it do what it do in a political sense, if that makes sense? Lol. Ok, we got all the important stuff outta the way, now time for a few weirdball questions then we can wrap this thing up. First question, if you had to trade one Canadian city for one American city which one would it be and why? What would the name of the town be when it moves to Canada?

Reyes: Hmm...well if it were up to me, it'll be unfair, lol. I would give some random Canadian city like Timmins for the city that future Wil wants to live in, New York.

BFochs: What will the name of the new city that is now in Canada be called?

Reyes: I would rename New York to Washington. Why? For the Capitals' logo. I own a few National fitteds aka Wil hats, lol.

BFochs: Lol, wise choice, NYC is dat city, even though I've never been there, I can co-sign that it is lol. Next question. If you did do the accounting thing and you could be any artists' accountant which artist would it be and why?

Reyes: Cassie. Who better to be her accountant than her own husband, right?

BFochs: Lol, that is true, another witty response. Last weirdball question then we can make this thing official. What if Canada, Mexico and the United States said "fuck the border, let's just open it up" and they took away the Canadian and Mexican border how would you react to that situation. If you could pick any Canadian song to be the theme for this scenario which one would it be and why?

Reyes: Yes! That means I don't get taxed for crossing the border to buy stuff from the US. Not directly Canadian, but cue Little Brother - Cross That Line featuring Kardinal Offishall.

BFochs: A 3-peat of good responses, that'll do, that'll do. Big ups once again for doing this interview man, you got any shout outs, comments or last words before we wrap this up?

Reyes: Shouts to you for giving a nobody like me an interview, to the visitors of my blog, friends online and offline. Hip hop ain't dead, it lives in the north!

BFochs: Keep doing your thing with the blog man, keep puttin' out them bangers from the Clean Nawf in the e-streets, I wish you the best of luck with anything you do in the future, take it easy man.

Reyes: One love.


No comments:

Post a Comment