Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Forth Worth, TX Beat Banger K-Monsta Chops It Up With BFochs!


BFochs: K-Monsta! What's the good word mane? Big ups on takin' time out of the grind for this interview. What's happenin' though man, what's it lookin' like on your end?

K-Monsta: Ohh man, I’ve been working extensively on new beats for the upcoming album, and just grindin’, tryin’ to get our name out in Fort Worth. Were also workin' on a new DVD titled "Fort Worth Unloaded"...just so everyone outside can get a taste of what the streets of Funkytown are like, including club performances, car shows and all that good stuff. There's lots of shit we got goin on'...hopefully we can get it out soon for everyone to check out.

BFochs: Damn, you got the ball rollin' on the grind most definitely, I can dig it. Why don't you tell the fine BBB readers a little about yourself. Tell 'em who you are, where you are from, and your least favorite beat out of your state.

K-Monsta: The name's K-Monsta or just Monsta...Born in Hawaii...and raised in Texas, where most of my music influence came from. Growing up there, all I listened to was Master P, UGK, & Three 6 Mafia. Those three are what got me into rap/hip hop music. Sometime around 2002, I really wanted to get into music, but I never really wanted to join the band. Then I looked into producing as soon as I heard this beat from the Clipse called "Grindin." It was simple, yet it sounded so damn good....from there on I had to figure out a way to start making beats. A couple years later...I've somewhat mastered my style and I'm making 3 beats a day.

As for my least favorite beat out of Texas...I'm gonna have to go with the G-Spot Boyz-Stanky Leg...I know them boyz are doin' their thang, with all the dancing shit...but they could have came correct on that song, shoulda hit me up for the beats, haha.

BFochs: Clipse-Grindin'=one of the best songs ever, great motivation for gettin' into the game, I agree that Stanky Leg beat is pretty bad haha. You were born in Hawaii and raised in Forth Worth, TX. How has being from those areas helped you as a producer and a rapper? What does the music scene look like in Forth Worth? Which artist in your area would you like to work with the most?

K-Monsta: Rap wasn't really popular in Hawaii, but I was heavy on the reggae tunes like Bob Marley and Inner Circle. As far as Texas as a whole...that's what I can truly say my style came from. DJ DMD, UGK, Slim Thug, ESG and all that heavily influenced me and the way I rap & produce. I fell in love with the sampling of old school tunes with heavy basslines.

A couple artists that I would love to work with....would definitely have to be Twisted Black (When He Gets Out), Big Tuck, Young Chase, Lil Will & Lil Spain, and Trap Squad Cartel....some of these we will probably be collabing with within the next couple of months...especially them Trap Squad Cartel boyz...they're really holdin' it down for our city.

BFochs: Texas has a lot of legends, a lot of inspiration can be found within their music. FREE TWISTED BLACK! Watch out for those collabos folks, K-Monsta ain't fuckin' around! You produce and rap, which do you prefer to do more? If you only could do one thing the rest of your career what would you pick, rapping or producing? Who do you think are the 5 best producer/rappers of all time?

K-Monsta: Producing...Thats my passion. Honestly...I just hop in the booth for fun haha...My opinion on the top 5 best rappers/producers would have to be (in no order): Producers: Pimp C, Dr. Dre, Mr. Lee, Timbaland, and DJ DMD. For rappers Kanye West Pimp C, Bun B, Notorious BIG and Z-Ro.

BFochs: Shit ya got access to the studio might as well give it a whirl haha, A solid list of artists/producers, I fux with all them cats. You got a rap crew with your homie Fly Ken called "Texas Grind ENT." When did ya'll originally meet and create Texas Grind ENT?. What are the three key things Texas Grind ENT plans on bringing to the game? So far what has been the biggest obstacle with releasing your debut album "Still Grindin'?"

K-Monsta: We actually went to the same school, but never got together to make music until later on. He sent me a message through myspace, and I shot him a beat cd...we went from there on. As far as creating Texas Grind...we just recently put that together to show our business side of how we handle things. We plan on bringin' these 3 things to the game. 1. Fort Worth lyricists...we got Southern swag with a lil East Coast wordplay. The best of both worlds 2. Puttin' Fort Worth on the map...just like Swishahouse did Houston. 3. Quality music...and longevity in the game.

BFochs: Those are three solid objective, it appears your on the path to doing all of that and some, just keep the grind goin' mane! Some people in the industry blame the South's recent success for the demise of hip hop, which is obviously bogus. If you had a chance to sit down with the haters and the disbelievers of the Southern movement what would you say to them?

K-Monsta: Hate is the new motivation. The South welcomes the haters. The disbelievers...are cryin' like little girls about hip hop is dead because of the south...nah homie...you ain't doin' somethin right, with how your handling your business. The people talkin down...are the ones who aren't doing shit. I mean When your at the top there's a bunch of heads lookin' up at you tryin' to take the spot....there's gonna be hate regardless. Hip Hop ain't dead...it evolved...it would get boring if things didnt change up every couple of years.

BFochs: That's true, when you are da man everyone comin' for your spot, quit hatin' on the south dangnamit! I'm a big fan of food, especially outside of what we got here in Wisconsin. What's poppin' off food wise in Fort Worth? What are 3 spots I would want to hit up for some eats while I'm there? What is the best thing you've ever eaten there?

K-Monsta: Maaaaaaaaan, William's Chicken on the east side. The tastiest, most greasy chicken in the city. Another spot is Papa Duex...best seafood in town. And this burger joint I'd recommend is Kincaids, real old school feel inside the place...been around since before I was born.

BFochs: /Takes vigorous notes haha. The industry is beyond fucked right now, everyone has their idea of what's wrong and what needs to be done to fix things. What in your opinion is the number one problem with the music industry in today's day and age?

K-Monsta: Hmm...I'd say the majority of hip hop has turned pop, it's all about sellin' records and ringtones and shit like that now. Hip hop has changed, the core fan base is younger now, so what their listening to may not be what the old school hip hop heads fell in love with. I feel like there's exceptions though, some old rappers are re-inventing themselves and some artists even try new things to change it up. I'm not saying the music is terrible now, but it sounds like a broken record. All the songs are startin to sound alike and the creativity level is at an all time low. I don't think it can be fixed honestly...just waitin' for the next wave of music to roll by. You either like it or don't.

BFochs: Good point about shit being fixed, music is always evolving, so we'll have something new, hip hop will always be arond though, just not in the capacity it once was. I noticed you are a fan of DJ DMD, if you got a chance to remix the beat for "25 Lighters" how would you go about doing that? Which artists would you have hop on the remix?

K-Monsta: Oh that's a tough task, seeing as that song is a Texas classic. I'd start off with a crazy bassline...slow it down a bit. Update it with synth sounds and have a badass dark piano to match the synths. There's no doubt in my mind that I'd throw on Devin Tha Dude, Lil Keke(again), Magno aka Magnificent, Slim Thug and Bun B.

BFochs: Holy shit balls, the remix would be epic if it played out like that, smooth concept and good features! You won the "SNYD Rock Your Beat" contest, big ups on that, what did you anticipate entering the contest? What affect do you hope your beat has on the listeners of Streetz & Young Deuces mixtape "Straight Drop Muzik"?

K-Monsta: I honestly thought I had no chance. I've entered into a few contests before and it seems like they didn't even listen because some serious sucka ass garbage beats won the contest. I just entered it in like "fuck it!" can't hurt to try. I hope they murder the beat, I know the fans of SNYD are gonna love it and hopefully we can work together again, I need some more of that Crunk Juice!! Haha.

BFochs: Word em up, you gotta enter them contests people, you never know! SNYD will most def. murk that shit mane, you made it easy by giving 'em a sick beat. "Straight Drop Muzik" (featuring production from K-Monsta) IS COMING!!! If you had an infinite budget for studio equipment what would you cop? What does the perfect studio set-up look like to you? Do you think the advancement in production technology is good for the game or does it water it down allowing too many people to get in the game?

K-Monsta: Don't need much, but if I had the infinite cash, I'd go all out and cop me a Dr. Dre lookin' studio haha. I'd cop 10 or 20 different keyboards, many different programs so I can change up my sound. A bangin' ass sound system that you can hear from a mile away...about 3 Mac computers and of course, Pro Tools!

Honestly, I think both. It's nice to see young producers out here making quality music with what they got. But then again, there's people sellin' their music for $5 a track, which I think devalues everybody's music around them. It's hard sellin' my music for what I think it's worth because I put time and effort into every beat I make, and a lot of these upcoming rappers are looking for a free handout.

BFochs: I smell what your steppin' in, you gotta get paid for the work you put in, SO many people expect free stuff, it's absurd, put in work people! It's not that difficult...You got the DVD "Forth Worth Unloaded" coming out, which is going to give the outsiders looking in a taste of what your city has to offer, what does your city have to offer? What are the three most important facts about your city that people may or may not know?

K-Monsta: It's got many things to offer bro! The street life, the club scene, fine dining, the slab scene (custom cars) and the Funkytown culture. Texas ain't all country...it ain't folks ridin' around on horses and tumbleweeds blowin' in the wind.

BFochs: Most definitely, that's how peeps are with WI, they think we are all beer-drinkin', cheese-eatin' Packer fans, damn stereotypes :( Texas has seen a lot of great artists go out early in life, if you could bring any one deceased Texas artist back to life for a one time collabo who would it be and why?

K-Monsta: There's been some greats that have passed away, but out of them all it would be Pimp C. Texas ain't been the same since he passed. Pimp C is the definition of Texas rap. He got hooks down (singin' and rappin') and he spits real shit, he would be my #1 choice...trailing H.A.W.K at a close second.

BFochs: Pimp C is so the fuckin' truth, if he's not I don't wanna know what it is, LONG LIVE THE PIMP! 2009 has already brought the SNYD contest victory, but I imagine you have a lot more you plan on getting poppin', what is your ultimate goal for the '09?

K-Monsta: Hopefully this contest win will help me get more exposure & clientele and my absolute # 1 goal is to get me & Fly Ken's debut album out. The first single is gonna be a certified trunk banger about sound systems...featuring Magno aka Magnificent, straight outta Houston!!!

BFochs: Damn, that single sounds like it's gonna be epic as fuck, get your sound systems ready people, K-Monsta is gettin' ready to see how good your subs are! That's all I got man, you got any shout outs, last words or comments before we wrap this thing up?

K-Monsta: I'd like to give a shout out to the whole Texas Grind ENT family....Fly Ken, KD, Big Jarius, Devron, my family, god and anyone whose held it down for us since day one.

BFochs: It's official like a referee's whistle, another interview in the books, good shit K-Monsta! Thanks once again for taking the time to do the interview mane, I wish you and yours the best of luck in anything you do in the future, take it easy!


No comments:

Post a Comment