Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Monday, March 16, 2009

Windy City Vet Precise Chops It Up With BFochs!


BFochs: What's goin' on Precise, big ups on taking time out of your busy schedule for this interview, what's the good word man, what are you up to right now?

Precise: Well right now I'm building this buzz via the internet, doing shows and developing relationships. Staying focused on this gift I have and waiting in expectation for the rewards.

BFochs: I can dig it. Why don't we get this thing started with a good ole introduction, tell the find BBB readers who you are, where you're from and how long you've been in the game.

Precise: I'm Precise from Chicago specifically from an area called the Wild Hunnits...WILD WILD!!..I've been in this game for about 10 years. I started in a group called Nubearth. I was known as Precise the Moor then and my crew consisted of Creole The Individual and Ideal the Mad Sandpiper. We were fortunate to do some great shows and open up for Common at Northern University. It was a great experience. I ventured off on my own and will be releasing my new album "It's On Me" in the second quarter of this year.

BFochs: Chitown! The Midwest is in the e-building! You hail from the Windy City. I've heard a lot that there is hatred within the city, let's not focus on that, what type of positive things do you think Chicago should be known for instead of the negative things?

Precise: I actually feel like the hate people are talking about in Chicago is changing. Chicago is lacking when it comes to having an industry here, but the talent here is amazing. I could name names forever. Starting with Quincy Jones, Chaka Kahn, R Kelly, Common, Kanye, Lupe, Twista, oh yeah and me Precise. What I have found while building these relationships is Chicago is big behind the scenes when it comes to production, song writing and corporate positions in the industry.

BFochs: It's definitely good to see the climate in the city change, and you're absolutely right, you guys have a CRAZY deep music scene. You are a member of the group Nubearth, tell the kind folks how that all materialized.

Precise: Well I met Ideal at Olive Harvey a junior College here in Chicago..we linked up and I was amazed at his skill as a producer. He has to be one of the most underrated producers in the city. I met Creole at a spot called Kurt's Chicken...we were just vibin' out, talkin' about the music we listen to and we formed a group. Ideal has changed his name a few times...I think he is known as Smyftech/Piff Smyf now in our circle we call him "Weasel"...I still work closely with Creole.

We did a song called "Game" on my album. It's some Chicago player talk. That song has been received well. I think our initial appeal to people was how different we are in our styles, but how they came together so well. The first big song we did was called "C.H.I.C.A.G.O." I credit us with having the first real Chicago Anthem.

BFochs: That's what it is, that track "Game" sounds interesting, big ups on creating the first 'Go anthem! In one of your tracks, "Wild, Wild," you make a lot of good references to what goes down in Chicago. You speak a little bit of the gang culture and how the city tore down a lot of the housing projects. What is your take on all of the gang violence in Chicago and in general? Obviously the loss of someone's home is a very serious issue, for those who lost their homes what advice do you have for them?

Precise: I made "Wild Wild" for Chicago, specifically my people in the Wild Hunnits. The gang culture in Chicago was spawned out of the Black Panther movement that was making great strides in the black community. The government infiltrated and tore it down from the inside. When people are hungry, don't have jobs and want to have a better life it creates this type of environment. The housing projects being torn down was something that was systematic. Gentrification has displaced many families and changed many lives. I think what has to happen now is that we develop stronger family units and teach our children the value of their lives and what it means to be happy. I would tell the people who lost their homes to keep faith, because as much as people want to think they are running something, they have to know that nobody runs this but God.

BFochs: MAJOR real talk alert folks, pay attention! That's very good advice man. You said your main intention is to 'preserve this culture and utilize my gift to uplift and educate my people specifically the youth.' How do you plan to do that musically and outside of the music? If you had to compare a song you've done to the overall direction the youth of today are heading in, what track would you choose and why?

Precise: That's a great question. Right now, I am working with P.E.M.G (Petroleum Empire Media Group) this was created by an Emcee / The Commander and Chief of Hip Hop, NYOIL from New York. He is best known for his song "Ya'll Should All Get Lynched". We have partnered up basically to take back our community through social activism and shining the light on our communities’ condition and taking action by being parents. NYOIL just had a discussion with Rev. Al Sharpton that will definitely bridge gaps and help us to move forward when it comes to change for the better. I can’t wait for that video to be released. It’s going to change a lot of perspectives.

The best way for me to uplift and educate my people is through my music and lyrics. I represent an alternative. I understand the power of words and the vibration they carry. I will always be responsible with the image and messages that I convey.

The best song that speaks to this is "It's On Me" produced by Tyehill and DJ Thunder of the Productionix. The way I feel about it is that we can chastise the youth forever, but nothing will change until the adults take responsibility and be better examples. I also feel like "Moses" produced by Eddy Lamarre is a good song that describes different adverse circumstances, but always points back to our faith and strength. "Moses" is actually one of my favorites because it's like three stories in one song.

BFochs: That sounds like a great way to get through to the youth, music is power! I ask every person I've interviewed from the Midwest if we will ever get on top of the music game, people's reactions have varied from, not sure to not even an issue. What is Precise's opinion on why the Midwest has never had a reign like the other regions of the country? Do you forsee a Midwest takeover in the future?

Precise: I think the Midwest has a solid foothold in the industry. Kanye is an Icon in a matter of 6 yrs. Imagine that. Common and Twista are Hip Hop Legends, not to mention legends like Ang 13, Jitu The Jugganaut (Ten Tray), groups like Prime Meridian, Crucial Conflict, Project Mayhem, artists like Shawnna, Jak Frost, Puggs Atomz , and Lupe. I could name artists all day. Like I mentioned earlier, I just think the lack of a physical industry in the Midwest creates the perception of having no type of reign but I would venture to say that a lot of the music you hear on the radio now is a result of some type of Midwest Influence.

BFochs: This is true, hopefully we can expand our physical reach so they respect us more! I'm sure in your 10 years in the industry you've got a lot of memories, both 'precise' and 'imprecise,' meaning things went according to plan or things didn't turn out as well as you'd like. What are the most 'precise' and 'imprecise' moments in your career thus far?

Precise: The most imprecise moment I have ever had was not knowing the business of music. The most Precise moment I have had is recognizing the power of the internet and what it means to build long lasting relationships in all walks of life.

BFochs: The industry is CRAZY, I can see where you are coming from lol, the internet holds a lot of power now in the industry and building relationships is clutch too. Good response. I know you got your debut album "It's On Me" coming out, what can we expect from "It's On Me?" What kind of things can we expect from Precise in the 2009 and beyond? If you had to pick one area of your city to describe the impact you hope to have the game which area would that be?

Precise: The album "It's On Me" featuring Production by Tyehill and DJ Thunder of The Productionix and Eddy Lamarre, will be released in the second quarter of this year. I'm working closely with PEMG and The Commander and Chief of Hip Hop NYOIL to unite conscious social and active minded Hip Hoppers for the purpose of a positive change throughout the culture of Hip Hop. I’m working on my new album "Living Life" that should be done by December. You should expect to see Precise all over the internet and everywhere it matters. If I had to pick one area of my city to have the biggest impact on it would be where I'm from the WILD WILD. However my goal is to impact THE WORLD.

BFochs: You got a lot on your plate mane, I look forward to your album dropping, big ups on teaming up with NYOIL to help the youth! The economy is in ruins, it seems that some progress is being made, but we have a long road ahead to get things back to what they were. Advice in tough situations like this is very crucial, what advice or message can you leave the folks with that will positively affect them in this terrible time?

Precise: The best message I can leave the masses in a situation that may seem terrible is to know that the world and the universe is abundant and believe and know that what ever you ask for you receive. We have the spirit of power love and a sound mind, knowing this and believing this can only work out for your good.

BFochs: That's some food for thought folks, good advice once again! If you had a chance to sit down with President Obama to talk about the problems of inner city America and the solution to these problems, what would you say to him? What would you offer as a suggestion for a fix?

Precise: First let me say that I am so excited to be living now. I had the opportunity to be at Grant Park and The Inauguration and to see the people focused so much on change and so excited about what we can do and actually do it is amazing. If I had the opportunity to sit down and speak with President Obama and discuss the problems of the inner city, I would talk to him about improving our schools by increasing the funding for Art programs and using the current movement towards a Green Environment to create employment in the inner cities.

I would also speak to him on America’s relationship with Haiti and how America should strengthen the relationship and help restore our global economy through investment in Haiti.

BFochs: Mr. Obama, Precise has some good advice, if you see this...take notes :) LOL...We are right around the corner on a new decade, where do you see things with the industry as we move farther into an advanced technological era? The major labels' business model appears to be expired; do you think we will see the change we need in the industry to have Hip Hop continue on for decades to come?

Precise: The industry is right where we need it to be right now. The advances that have been made with respect to technology have leveled the playing field. I have the ability to reach millions of people and help to shape my own destiny and affect the world. Hip Hop will be here forever. The impact that this culture has made on the world is undeniable. Rap music will continue to evolve and grow as we grow. There is so much great music out here...and we have so much access to it. The change in the industry has happened. I was talking with DJ Thunder and Tyehill of the Produktionix about how the game is wide... open and it is.

BFochs: That is true, the web had definitely been a great equalizer. You yourself have a blog, one in which you get pretty deep about your spiritual beliefs. How do your religious beliefs affect the way you go about making your music? It seems like spiritually, Hip Hop has lost a lot quality overall compared to the 'Golden Era.' What are 3 things you think artists should do to re-instill and maintain spirituality in their music?

Precise: Well let me say it this way...I understand the power of the word and the power of music. Every word I speak to you carries a vibration, a high one or a low one. I want my vibration to be high. Therefore I strive to create a vibe through music that allows people to feel good and is uplifting. My blog gives me the opportunity to share and express how I feel and to help people remember that we have the power in our words and the way that we feel.

Hmmm...3 things to re-instill and maintain spirituality, ok... 1. Love 2. Be yourself 3. Recognize the power of your words.

BFochs: Words are indeed powerful, it is crucial to understand the power of them. Another dose of good advice in the form of 3 things to re-instill and maintain spirtuality, take notes folks! If you had an infinite budget to put on event for the youth of Chicago what would the event consist of? What types of programs do you think need to be established to further reach today's youth?

Precise: Wow...an infinite budget...with an infinite budget I would create a 24-hour youth facility that offered everything from music workshops to career training.

BFochs: I know the kids would definitely like that idea, good response. You mentioned you and Nubearth made the Windy City anthem, C.H.I.C.A.G.O., if you had an opportunity to link up with ANYone from the Windy City to make a new Chicago anthem who would it be and why?

Precise: You put me on the spot with that question....let's see...Creole The Individual and Ideal because they helped create the original, it's a must...Primemeridian because they are a legendary group and have a dope back and forth style...Que Bullah...Big Whiz ...these brothers have a great energy plus the lyricism is undeniable and Rhymefest....well Rhymefest is super lyrical and always represents Chicago where ever he is....Oh yeah...Can't forget about Common, Twista, Kanye and Lupe....that song would be bannanas!!!...

BFochs: I think it would be easily one of the most epic tracks in the history of music, that's a crazy cast! That's all I got for you mane, any last words, comments or thoughts before we wrap this thing up?

Precise: Well...I want to say thank you. To be featured on BFochs Beats Blog is truly an honor. I want everybody to be looking out for the album "It's On Me" featuring production by Eddy Lamarre and DJ Thunder and Tyehill of the Produktionix. Check me on the myspace... http://www.myspace.com/precisesoundz and the blog...http://precisechiblog.blogspot.com

Chicago Stand Up!!!! Midwest Stand Up!!!!

Stay Focused, Positive and Productive

BFochs: That's what it is folks, LET THE MIDWEST BREATHE!! Big ups once again for choppin' it up with me Precise, I wish you and yours the best in anything you do in the future, take it easy fam!


2 comments:

  1. Precise is Hottt!!! He's the one to watch! I've followed him since the beginning and he is phenomenal! James Cartman Houston Tx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Precise! This is one of the most grounded, intelligent, and inspiring interviews I've read in a long time! I respect that!!!!

    ReplyDelete